Adding a HBA card without using data.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
I am about to order one of those 24 bay server cases and put my existing media server in it. Since I'll need an hba card, I have a question. If you connect a drive with data already on it to an hba card, do you loose the data? Assuming the answer is no, (fingers crossed) will it have the same drive letter?

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
under windows you will not loose your data if you keep the same setup as original setup.

if your original setup is hardware RAID, of course you will loose your data when you go to hba-mode.

and the same drive letters you can set manualy under windows -->> disk manager

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Assuming your existing drives are attached to an onboard SATA controller with no (software) RAID of any kind, as long as the new HBA is flashed to IT mode/firmware, you should be able to connect your drives, and they will "just" show up.

The same drive letters may not be preserved, but you can reset them, as ari2asem said above.

Reactions: rdsii64

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
@rdsii64 ....better to ask you: what is your setup right now?
which hardware? which storage controller? how is your storage setup NOW ? which file system do you use now ? which OS ?

and your plans for future?
what OS ?? what hardware ? what software ? what storage ? what is your use case?

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
@rdsii64 ....better to ask you: what is your setup right now?
which hardware? which storage controller? how is your storage setup NOW ? which file system do you use now ? which OS ?

and your plans for future?
what OS ?? what hardware ? what software ? what storage ? what is your use case?
I'm running windows 10 LTSC, I'm not running any kind of storage specific software, I'm going to move my current emby server into a 24 bay chassis because I'm going to run out of drive bays. I use the backblaze free unlimited service for backup so no raid ,network shares, or "mounted volumes" allowed. Just a big box with 25 drive letters.

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
Assuming your existing drives are attached to an onboard SATA controller with no (software) RAID of any kind, as long as the new HBA is flashed to IT mode/firmware, you should be able to connect your drives, and they will "just" show up.

The same drive letters may not be preserved, but you can reset them, as ari2asem said above.
Thank you. It looks like I will be fine then. If I understand this correctly, (chime in if I'm wrong) an HBA card in the correct mode (IT mode) is basically just a SATA controller in a PCIE slot. I can put my mechanical drives on it and leave my SSD boot drive on the motherboard. Windows should take from there. I'll make sure I have a local backup before I try this.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
Thank you. It looks like I will be fine then. If I understand this correctly, (chime in if I'm wrong) an HBA card in the correct mode (IT mode) is basically just a SATA controller in a PCIE slot. I can put my mechanical drives on it and leave my SSD boot drive on the motherboard. Windows should take from there. I'll make sure I have a local backup before I try this.
yes, because as i understand, you dont have yet any data on your hdd's. am i correct ?
your data are in cloud (backblaze). correct ??

if 2 times YES, then you can use any hba in IT-mode.

about software, i can recommend snapraid. (snapraid.it)

big advantage of snapraid: you can use any hdd, with or without data on it, any size (100gb, 18tb). even if you decide to switch to another storage solution, your data are still on hdd.

big disadvantage of snapraid: you have manualy sync and scrub your array. there are some helper-scripts to automate these taks.

just read snapraid.it

good luck

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
yes, because as i understand, you dont have yet any data on your hdd's. am i correct ?
your data are in cloud (backblaze). correct ??

if 2 times YES, then you can use any hba in IT-mode.

about software, i can recommend snapraid. (snapraid.it)

big advantage of snapraid: you can use any hdd, with or without data on it, any size (100gb, 18tb). even if you decide to switch to another storage solution, your data are still on hdd.

big disadvantage of snapraid: you have manualy sync and scrub your array. there are some helper-scripts to automate these taks.

just read snapraid.it

good luck
There is data currently on the drives. The first 12 TB drive is full.

mysy

Apr 2, 2020
CHINA
I am about to order one of those 24 bay server cases and put my existing media server in it. Since I'll need an hba card, I have a question. If you connect a drive with data already on it to an hba card, do you loose the data? Assuming the answer is no, (fingers crossed) will it have the same drive letter?
When you add HBA card and more HDD need reset to NAS/WinSer raid 0 / 1 /5 mode disk, so the disk format will need to change. You will lose all data when you do add HDD to Raid mode operation.
If no Raid operation , through mode also suggest backup the disk content before try it.

Last edited:

msg7086

May 2, 2017
When you add HBA card and HDD need reset to raid 0 / 1 /5 mode disk, so the disk format will need to change. You will lose all data when you do add HDD to Raid mode operation.
An HBA card does not work in RAID mode. A card that works in RAID mode is called a RAID card, not an HBA card.

mysy

Apr 2, 2020
CHINA
An HBA card does not work in RAID mode. A card that works in RAID mode is called a RAID card, not an HBA card.
What HBA card is for throught more HDD port to OS , Normal NAS or Win Files server will create soft RAID from it. See what kind application you want to go with.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
What HBA card is for throught more HDD port to OS , Normal NAS or Win Files server will create soft RAID from it. See what kind application you want to go with.
In OP's case it's like moving an HDD from one SATA port to another SATA port. It's totally irrelevant to whatever soft RAID is being used. Unless you recommend backup the content before moving between SATA ports, which makes no sense.

mysy

Apr 2, 2020
CHINA
Poster have '24 bay server cases and put my existing media server',it not for move data between them...