Adaptec SAS Raid controller and 1U SuperMicro - Price Drop

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
May 10, 2016
Selling things I no longer have a use or space for after upgrading to a larger more powerful system for all my storage and VM needs. Accept cask or paypal (non-gift), have 100% positive feedback on eBay for 8 years: joshuahandrich91 user id.

4U server ($350+ shipping OBO without RAID/HBA cards)
Norco 4224 with rail kit
4 spare 6gbps sas backplanes
Corsair AX760 platinum efficiency modular power supply with custom cables for backplanes (only a few months old).
3x Norco 12mm and 2x 80mm (very quiet, great for home use)
X8SIA-F
x3440
32Gb DDR3 ecc
6x SAS cables
Has a small ding in the rack ear from when it was shipped to me, and small scratches from normal use.

HBA/RAID cards:
2x Dell PERC H200 flashed to 9211-8i P20 firmware in IT mode ($50 each or $90 for the pair OBO shipped)
1x Adaptec ASR-6805T with cache and Capacitor backup ($125 OBO shipped)

1U supermicro server ($75 OBO + shipping):
Dual l5220
X8DTL-3F 1U
8 bay 2.5" SAS
2x caddies
CD drive
I believe I have 4x 8Gb sticks of ram I could throw in this as well.

Pictures: Servers

Trade items I'd consider:
Nvidia shield android tv box, 2Tb+ hard drives, a decent larger UPS unit, 2x 3u 2011 coolers, pc3-14900r, or let me know what you have and I may be convinced to take on another project.

I would love to sell most or all of this together. If you buy everything else, I'll throw in the 1u for free.
Thanks for looking, I'll wait a few days to see if someone wants to buy at least some of this as a package and then consider parting out further. Sorry for the poor cable management, just threw the spares together in a box, more than happy to tidy things up for you if you are buying things together. Rather save some fees and offer this a little cheaper here than deal with all of these individual listings on eBay.

For either of the servers, I'd take $25 off the price if you could pickup in Milwaukee, WI and save me the hassle of shipping, or I could deliver for free if you were within 25 miles.

Last edited:
May 10, 2016
Bump: Price drops, SAS controllers now include shipping. The Norco 4224 is now as cheap as the cheapest on eBay for just the chassis and includes a quality power supply, sas cables, quality fans, rails, spares, and supermicro board with ram and xeon.

May 10, 2016
Any interest in any of this? Am I asking too much, not well enough known here yet, etc? I feel its priced pretty competitively - I've dropped the prices slightly further. Maybe I'm just impatient and want to free up this corner of my storage locker in the basement. This is probably the final price drop and I'll wait around a week or so before heading off to eBay with these items.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Here's my honest two cents, so don't shoot the messenger :)
  1. Personally, I would have a hard time getting excited about the Norco 4224 that's dinged up and comes with the older yellow backplanes (known to have issues). Good PSU, 120mm fan wall, plus Norco fans are a plus, but the X8 era hardware is pretty long in the tooth. That being said, for some reason these cases are super expensive on Amazon and Newegg right now. I bought a new one within the last six months for $299 with the newest version of the backplanes (with free shipping).
  2. The LSI HBA's seem like a fair price, but not amazing. I bought (3) Dell H310's on eBay over the last six months for $35 - $45 with free shpping. I don't do anything at home with hardware RAID, so I can't speak to the value of the Adaptec card.
  3. I don't see any pics of the 1U server, but the price seems okay. Shipping cost may be a concern for some.

Reactions: Joshua Handrich
May 10, 2016
Don't worry, won't shoot the messenger, I appreciate the feedback.

I know other than the ram that motherboard combo is a bit long in the tooth, still perfectly serviceable and reliable for a simple storage appliance with freeness or the like, but I just kind of threw it in as a freebee with the case to get someone up and running if they like. I believe they are an updated version of the backplanes as Norco lists when buying spares they may be shipped in green or orange but its the version number that matters, I believe they are 1.2, but I'd have to check. When I first got it I do remember testing loading them up with 3tb+ and 7200RPM drives with no power fluctuation issues and my HBA's registered them as SAS 6 connections. I will drop the price to $350 due to your experience purchasing one of these, but I think I have included a fair amount of extras. This would be most ideal for someone in the area who could arrange for pickup or drop-off.

I'll let them sit around for a while, they're a stable workhorse card that's great for a lot of things and seem pricier than that elsewhere right now.

The 1U is one of the ones I picked up in a deal thread around here somewhere recently that I added some CPU's and ram to, but simply don't need the extra power since I've upgraded to dual 2670's.

Thanks for your input!

Reactions: rubylaser

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Don't worry, won't shoot the messenger, I appreciate the feedback.

I know other than the ram that motherboard combo is a bit long in the tooth, still perfectly serviceable and reliable for a simple storage appliance with freeness or the like, but I just kind of threw it in as a freebee with the case to get someone up and running if they like. I believe they are an updated version of the backplanes as Norco lists when buying spares they may be shipped in green or orange but its the version number that matters, I believe they are 1.2, but I'd have to check. When I first got it I do remember testing loading them up with 3tb+ and 7200RPM drives with no power fluctuation issues and my HBA's registered them as SAS 6 connections. I will drop the price to $350 due to your experience purchasing one of these, but I think I have included a fair amount of extras. This would be most ideal for someone in the area who could arrange for pickup or drop-off.

I'll let them sit around for a while, they're a stable workhorse card that's great for a lot of things and seem pricier than that elsewhere right now.

The 1U is one of the ones I picked up in a deal thread around here somewhere recently that I added some CPU's and ram to, but simply don't need the extra power since I've upgraded to dual 2670's.

Thanks for your input!
Good luck on your sale. $350 seems like a great price for a complete fileserver. And, thanks for taking that with such a positive outlook :)

May 10, 2016
Is the 1U server still available?
Kind of...

It will soon be undergoing open heart surgery to swap the motherboard with the 4u unit that is pending sale. If you are mainly looking at it for the chassis and power supply as a barebones to stick your hardware into, I've still got everything you want.

May 10, 2016
Motherboard from the 1u has been sold as has the 4u and LSI cards. The raid card, motherboard from the 4u, and the chassis and power supply for the 1u are still available.