Adaptec RAID5 to RAID6 migration not working, won't start

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ninja6o4

Jul 2, 2014
I have installed in a Supermicro 2U 12-bay CSE-826TQ case:
- Supermicro X10SLL-F mobo
- Intel Xeon E3-1246 v3
- 16GB ECC RAM
- 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (onboard RAID1)
- 10x Seagate 6TB SATA Enterprise drives (ST6000NM0024)
- Adaptec 6805 + Intel RES2SV240NC Expander

I originally started with an LSI 9271-8i card, 4x Seagates, and no expander, in RAID5 configuration.
When I ran OCE to 5x drives, it pinned the card resources so much that the server was unusable during the expansion, ~5 days.

I did not want this to happen again, so I switched to the above 6805+Expander, bought 5 more identical drives, and built a matching 5x RAID5 array. I moved all my data over, then removed the LSI and plugged in the originals to the new configuration.

The problem I'm having now is I want to eventually end up with 10x RAID6 array, but the Adaptec just refuses to complete any operation that involves migrating from RAID5 to RAID6, no matter how many of the remaining drives I select for expansion. I get this error in the maxView Storage Manager:

When I try to use arcconf CLI, I get this error:
C:\arcconf_v1_8_21375>arcconf.exe modify 1 from 0 to max 6 0 0 0 1 0 20 0 21 0 22 0 23 0 24 0 25 0 26 0 27
Controllers found: 1
Reconfiguration of a logical device is a long process. Are you sure you want to continue?
Press y, then ENTER to continue or press ENTER to abort: y

Reconfiguring logical device: xxxxx_RAID
The logical device reconfiguration operation failed due to a resource conflict.

Command failed.​

I then tried to expand to 6x RAID5, which did work, so I think it has to do with the RAID5 to RAID6 migration. What am I missing?
I've read these but with no avail, and I'm kinda stuck.
Migrate Adaptec 6805 from RAID 5 to 6 - RAID Cards and HBAs
How to change an existing RAID array using Adaptec/ICP or maxView Storage Manager?
How to expand/modify an existing RAID array using ARCCONF?

I don't want to OCE all the drives to RAID5 only to find out that you cannot go from RAID5 to RAID6 without having available drives, and the process will already take weeks at the given capacity. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I ran into all kinds of problems with Adaptec on Server 2012 [R2] and the MaxView Storage Manager. Eventually gave up and moved to 3ware 9750 -- where the CLI/software was actually good.

What OS is this? Does your card support the old Adaptec Storage Manager? You might try downgrading to that to see if that helps.

ninja6o4

Jul 2, 2014
It was on a 2012 R2. The old ASM 7.1 looked like it would have worked in my testing, but I ended up just scrapping the array and starting fresh. It was faster.