Adaptec RAID controller mode - change after array created?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mikehd

May 19, 2021
Oregon
Hi all,

First, I'm brand new to the world of actual RAID controllers, and bought a used 7805 for a fair price. I've read all I can find on Adaptec's site regarding my question but nothing addresses it. Likewise, my searching here and on other forums didn't reveal any answers.

I have a RAID 6 array created with 4x4TB WD RED Pro + 2x4TB WD Enterprise HDDs on the 7805. The controller came configured as RAID (hide raw), and I think I want to change it to RAID (expose raw), to allow for the OS (Windows 10) to manage a drive connected to it.

I'd like to change mode but am concerned that it will impact the array. Is this concern valid?

This PC provide a home server role, providing backup storage for our families PCs and archiving of media. We occasionally stream media but mostly it collects backups.

thanks for any insight you can provide,

Mike

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think I want to change it to RAID (expose raw), to allow for the OS (Windows 10) to manage a drive connected to it.
I'm not sure whatt you mean by that.
In raid mode the controller presents logical devices in the device manager.
In hba mode the controller passes through all the devices connected to it (eg. for software raid)

mikehd

May 19, 2021
Oregon
Hey
You should check this User Guide to confirm the difference between hide mode and expose mode.
Yes, the guide you link to and the one I got from Microsemi's site state the same thing:
Microsemi Adaptec Series 7 and Series 8 Controllers Only:
Controller Mode

When set to RAID: Expose RAW mode, all RAID functions of the controller
are enabled. Attached drives without Microsemi Adaptec metadata are
surfaced to the host operating system as RAW Pass Through devices (similar
to JBODs on legacy Adaptec controllers).

When set to RAID: Hide RAW mode, all RAID functions of the controller are
enabled, but RAW devices are not exposed to the operating system.
Thank you for the link and verification.

I'm not sure whatt you mean by that.
In raid mode the controller presents logical devices in the device manager.
In hba mode the controller passes through all the devices connected to it (eg. for software raid)
HBA mode is also available, but distinctly different from RAID: Expose RAW mode. From the manual:
When set to HBA Mode, attached drives are surfaced as RAW devices. The
intent of this mode is to allow the RAID controller to act and be used as an
HBA. Changing into HBA mode is allowed only if there are no drives with
Microsemi Adaptec metadata attached to the controller, including hot spare
drives (see Uninitializing Disk Drives on page 92 for more information).
Uninitialized drives are compatible with any HBA and can be exchanged with
drives on the motherboard's SATA interface.
My understanding of this is that the RAW drives are not initialized and so do not have Adaptec metadata and would be movable to onboard SATA if needed, and would apply to both RAID: Expose RAW and HBA modes. Sorry if my phrasing was confusing - I can see that I didn't identify the two RAID modes (expose RAW and hide RAW) as distinct from each other.

Thanks all for the inputs.