Adaptec RAID Can't Detect Sunrich S-331 (Marvell 9235 )

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mikhail

Feb 15, 2017
So, I've kinda given up on Windows Storage Spaces, but now I'm having trouble with interfacing my RAID card and backplane.

So, I got an Adaptec 8805 RAID card (latest firmware) that I've pulled from a working system. When I hook up the SATA ports to the a Sunrich S-331 backplane (Marvell 9235 chipset, [1]), the RAID controller can only see the first out of five drives on the array.

I had the same problem in Server 2016, until I installed the driver for the Marvel chipset. Does Marvell have anything so that their components appear on Adaptec cards?

Any ideas on how to get something to work?
[1] Open Source Storage Server: 60 Hard Drives 480TB Storage

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
A quick search on Adaptec's site shows they generally do not operate with SATA port multipliers. When it worked was that directly connected to the motherboards SATA ports? If you confirm with Adaptec that it's a compatibility issue you'll need to either find a controller that supports SATA port multipliers or switch to a SAS expander. Good luck!

Mikhail

Feb 15, 2017
Hmm, can anybody recommend a card with hardware RAID (because Windows) that does work with port multipliers? I can't get rid of the multipliers because they are, literally, the backplane.

Whats the actual reason why they don't work?

I'm also curious what happens if I run the thing through an Intel RES2CV expander. Maybe the Intel expander will be compatible?

Last edited:

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Hmm, can anybody recommend a card with hardware RAID (because Windows) that does work with port multipliers? I can't get rid of the multipliers because they are, literally, the backplane.

Whats the actual reason why they don't work?

I'm also curious what happens if I run the thing through an Intel RES2CV expander. Maybe the Intel expander will be compatible?
Trying to solve the same problem, did you ever find a suitable controller card?