Adaptec 78165 (8x internal, 16x external) w/ flash backup - $215 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
I bought 2 of these to try out and while the HBA mode setting does seem to work for FreeNAS, it does not seem to be functional for hot-swap. Plugging drives in after POST once FreeNAS is booted does nothing. New drives are not seen until you perform a full reboot. Checking the adapter BIOS, there does not appear to be any setting to resolve this.

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
If you are looking for 8643 - 8087 cables, check out Kalleyomalley
Search for AXXCBL
HDMS are the straight ones

HR / MR are the 90° ones
Those are Intel OEM new (set of 2). They accept $12 + shipping.
So works out to ~$10 each.

Unfortunately they don't carry the 8644 variants (ext HD ones) and those seem to be really expensive.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks for this! For the record, they Accepted $8 with $12 shipping for one AXXCBL730HDMS. $10/cable without having to wait for Chinese shipping FTW! Also, Intel validated quality control is probably much much better than random El Cheapo cables.

Tester_02

Feb 26, 2017
Interesting card.
Someone else asked and never heard a reply.
What external enclosure are people hooking these up to? Seems like a great card if it could be paired to a cheap enclosure and add lots of spinners.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Interesting card.
Someone else asked and never heard a reply.
What external enclosure are people hooking these up to? Seems like a great card if it could be paired to a cheap enclosure and add lots of spinners.
I tried this with a SA120 and it was a no-go for me running FreeNAS as it did not detect drive changes.

moblaw

Jun 23, 2017
Has anyone with the DELL branded controller of 78165 tried to upgrade the firmware, with the official 32114 by Adaptec?

I did, that bricked the Card. Adaptec said the BIOS is developed for/by DELL, and hence the BIOS not the same as the one from adaptec. It seems like a false statement, because both Cards are identical. This makes the DELL Card a wash, since I have yet to find any BIOS updates from DELL. Ofc, one could use it as is, but that's not me.