Adaptec 78165 (8x internal, 16x external) w/ flash backup - $215 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Appreciate any feedback from folks using these in FreeNAS / ZoL / Solarish.

Wish the 71685 (16i+8e) or 71605 (16i ) variants were at this price.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lzvolensky

Jul 24, 2016
damn times are changin' are they ? Yesterday there was $80, now there's $99 [ seller aware of this forum :) ]

I linked that because there is "add $50 for cache" option inside, what made it $130 ($149 now) total. Wonderful day to everyone !

Hal

Oct 2, 2016
Italy
I've a little suspect that some sellers throws their offers and after with Google or others search their link or description.....

Maybe that we must scramble lightly the link and/or description ..... Today I'm paranoic :rolleyes:

Ciao

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Is there any reason i couldn't put one of these in an R710 and turn it into a storage server? I'm still not sure how the external box would look, but i have a 16 bay chenbro i could use external and the 8 internal 2.5" would be on this card as well. Add a 10Gbe NIC and seems like a pretty solid setup. Any idea what you would need inside a server chassis to get the backplane connections to be external and be able to turn on the power supply?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Uh...no idea what you are saying or asking since you mentioned a R710. You could use the R710 as the 'controller'(with an OS of some kind obviously to provision and setup the disks how you want)and this Adaptec controller to utilize the internal backplane + an external disk shelf. You would meed the miniSAS HD to the more conventional external SAS connector for this card.

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, that all makes sense. I was just curious how to make a disk shelf from the Chenbro 3U 16 bay unit I have now. Or if one can be gotten cheaply off ebay. But sounds like this card will do what I want and should fit in the R710 just fine.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Watch your air flow with these cards, they run extremely hot. At a minimum 200LFM is required to keep these within normal operating temperatures according to Adaptec. Dell recommend 300LFM for their variant, so anyone with a "modded for noise level" box should pay attention to airflow when using these cards :)

Reactions: K D and Hal

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Watch your air flow with these cards, they run extremely hot. At a minimum 200LFM is required to keep these within normal operating temperatures according to Adaptec. Dell recommend 300LFM for their variant, so anyone with a "modded for noise level" box should pay attention to airflow when using these cards :)
Will it be sufficient to add a 40mm/60mm fan on top of the heatsink? Will be using it in a "modded for noise level" SC286.

Also do they play nice with the LSI expanders in SuperMicro backplanes?

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
All I can say about the heat is, this thing won't work well in a Dell R320. Server complains about the cable being disconnected, and the chassis is hot to touch after a bit. Not sure how the fan management is supposed to turn on as the card gets hot, but I'm going to try it in the R710 next and hope for the best.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Will it be sufficient to add a 40mm/60mm fan on top of the heatsink? Will be using it in a "modded for noise level" SC286.

Also do they play nice with the LSI expanders in SuperMicro backplanes?
It should work fine with LSI expanders, but I personally don't like mix 'n match vendors for such things. As compatible/ inter-operability goes, I usually find there's always some gotcha waiting for you up the line when you do things like that. The heat is another issue entirely. A fan on the heatsink will certainly help, if you have some cooling airflow for it to suck through the heatsink to begin with, but you then have to remove said heat from the chassis efficiently. Plus adding a fan on top of the fairly beefy heatsink it has to start with, will almost certainly interfere with whatever card may be next to it. It would probably make more sense to use an i/o shroud with dedicated fan in cases where you have a card adjacent to it, fans on the rear wall will not do any harm either :)

jerryxlol

Nov 27, 2016
I have 60mm airen fan on top of heatsink and teperatures are below 50°C. But have you figured out how to manage high profile bracket? I am now using it without bracket and i am kinda worried... :)

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I have 60mm airen fan on top of heatsink and teperatures are below 50°C. But have you figured out how to manage high profile bracket? I am now using it without bracket and i am kinda worried... :)
I've yet put this card in. But was checking microsemi site and they said they can ship the brackets for $10. Another option would be to contact GOMPF (brackets.com). I checked their site but didn't find the correct bracket because you have to click thru each of the drawing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk