Adaptec 78165 (8x internal, 16x external) w/ flash backup - $215 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I know we're a mostly LSI group but here's an intriguing one for the more adventurous with 6gbps drives:

Here's an auction with 10 left for $215 obo: Adaptec ASR-78165 24-Channel SAS/SATA Controller RAID 6Gb/s PCIe Low Prof 0KT1V

I'm liking the concept of a 24 port controller. You could easily turn these into a 1U controller and a 3U disk shelf.

It looks like it comes with the capacitor and flash backup so no battery pack to worry about either. Too bad not 12G but for disks and SATA old SAS might be cool.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would love to hear how these work. That is a great way to save PCIe slots and the price with the flash backed write cache is not much more than getting a new battery for an older LSI RAID controller.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
That looks really interesting. The specs say it supports HBA mode. Didn't see it on the Illumos HCL, but there are other Adaptec boards listed.

It could consolidate a couple of IBM 1015's and an expander as well as an 8087-8088 bracket on one of my ZFS boxes very nicely. Have to replace a bunch of cables, but would be worth it.

Anyone used it on Solaris/OmniOS?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
interesting card, and If I am not mistaken a while back I read that the new adaptec 7 series or 8 series got better benchmark compared to lsi counterpart.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
interesting card, and If I am not mistaken a while back I read that the new adaptec 7 series or 8 series got better benchmark compared to lsi counterpart.
I'm wondering if the Adaptec cards play nice with 840 and 850 pros unlike the LSIs.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
SFF-8643. Adaptec moved with their 7000 generation (last 6gbps gen) while LSI adopted on their 3000 series generation (first 12gbps gen.)

I actually just bought Adaptec SFF-8643 to 8087 cables http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009APIZUI which were not too bad $23 with Prime.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
So when talking about caps for backing the BBWC, I had a 9271 that used caps. I had the card alert me that the external pack failed so I had to replace. It is still definitely able to fail :(

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So when talking about caps for backing the BBWC, I had a 9271 that used caps. I had the card alert me that the external pack failed so I had to replace. It is still definitely able to fail :(
Good point. When I would still use RAID modes I was replacing battery packs every 2 years or so.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
These are now down to <$90 OBO with supercap & cache. Couple of sellers.

Need feedback from folks who have tried them in HBA setup in FreeNAS / FreeBSD / Solarish etc

For example:
Dell 0K1TV Adaptec ASR-78165 1GB 24CH SAS/SATA RAID Controller w/ AFM-700 | eBay

If you can eventually offload the 1GB flash + AFM-700 for a reasonable price, the net cost looks even more appealing for 8i + 16e card.

I'm sure these will need ample cooling.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Do adaptec cards have passthrough/IT firmware at all? These would be awesome cards for c6100 chassis. If only there was a small adapter for converting sff form factors.

Would also like to know if such a card exists that has 8 or 16e with 8i sff8087.

Last edited:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I believe these have a bios setting to choose RAID / HBA mode. Once true HBA/SMART pass thru' is confirmed, need to verify that the driver support in in the required OS.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
The user guide doesn't reference hba, it mode, or passthrough. Can anyone confirm further?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
The user guide doesn't reference hba, it mode, or passthrough. Can anyone confirm further?

Installation and User's Guide / Serial Attached SCSI RAID Controllers / October 2016
pg 95.

Microsemi Adaptec Series 7 and Series 8 Controllers Only:
• When set to RAID: Expose RAW mode, all RAID functions of the controller
are enabled. Attached drives without Microsemi Adaptec meta-data are
surfaced to the host operating system as RAW Pass Through devices (similar
to JBODs on legacy Adaptec controllers).
• When set to RAID: Hide RAW mode, all RAID functions of the controller are
enabled, but RAW devices are not exposed to the operating system.
When set to HBA Mode, attached drives are surfaced as RAW devices. The
intent of this mode is to allow the RAID controller to act and be used as an
HBA. Changing into HBA mode is allowed only if there are no drives with
Microsemi Adaptec meta-data attached to the controller
, including hot spare
drives (see Uninitializing Disk Drives on page 91 for more information).
Uninitialized drives are compatible with any HBA and can be exchanged with
drives on the motherboard's SATA interface.

Reactions: frogtech

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Installation and User's Guide / Serial Attached SCSI RAID Controllers / October 2016
pg 95.

Microsemi Adaptec Series 7 and Series 8 Controllers Only:
• When set to RAID: Expose RAW mode, all RAID functions of the controller
are enabled. Attached drives without Microsemi Adaptec meta-data are
surfaced to the host operating system as RAW Pass Through devices (similar
to JBODs on legacy Adaptec controllers).
• When set to RAID: Hide RAW mode, all RAID functions of the controller are
enabled, but RAW devices are not exposed to the operating system.
When set to HBA Mode, attached drives are surfaced as RAW devices. The
intent of this mode is to allow the RAID controller to act and be used as an
HBA. Changing into HBA mode is allowed only if there are no drives with
Microsemi Adaptec meta-data attached to the controller
, including hot spare
drives (see Uninitializing Disk Drives on page 91 for more information).
Uninitialized drives are compatible with any HBA and can be exchanged with
drives on the motherboard's SATA interface.
Nice, thanks. And also thanks for bumping the thread; I'm glad a card like this exists. I wonder what the queue depth is. Presumably these can be used without BBU and flash module when they're in HBA mode right.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Does somebody know if the raid controller uses the flash module as a bigger cache (4gb nand slc vs 512mb/1gb on board ram)?