Active directory impact on local users

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Junior admin

Feb 18, 2016
Chennai
Dear friends,

We have a 30 systems with windows 7 professional here in the work group module. All the systems havetwo user accounts namely admin and staff, all of us employee will use the staff account. Now we planned to implement the domain concept here. I believe once we implement the domain, the objects(users) will create in DC itself. My doubt is what will happen to my staff user profile in all the client machines. Am i need to delete that staff account before adding that machine to domain? Or it can be exist without any probs?

Thanks,
Junior admin

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
If the usernames match then in the profile directories you'll have entries of mydomain.myusername for the domain accounts and myusername for the local accounts, this is just a cosmetic issues.

The other more of a user training issue is the domain and username at the login screen if the domain selection drop-down is hidden.

.\myusername = local account
mydomain\username = domain account

Reactions: Diavuno

Diavuno

If the usernames match then in the profile directories you'll have entries of mydomain.myusername for the domain accounts and myusername for the local accounts, this is just a cosmetic issues.

The other more of a user training issue is the domain and username at the login screen if the domain selection drop-down is hidden.

.\myusername = local account
mydomain\username = domain account
Yup.

Diavuno

Dear friends,

We have a 30 systems with windows 7 professional here in the work group module. All the systems havetwo user accounts namely admin and staff, all of us employee will use the staff account. Now we planned to implement the domain concept here. I believe once we implement the domain, the objects(users) will create in DC itself. My doubt is what will happen to my staff user profile in all the client machines. Am i need to delete that staff account before adding that machine to domain? Or it can be exist without any probs?

Thanks,
Junior admin
Basically when you add a computer to the domain the old user account isnt touched.

But now it can also log into a domain account.

The local accounts on any machine will not automatically be created in the domain.