Accoustics of MSX6036 for homelab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bryan_v

Nov 5, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
www.linkedin.com
Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating getting a Mellanox SX6036 to act as a 40G core switch paired with CX3 QSFP cards for my VM hosts and storage nodes, however I'm concerned with the acoustics of the switch.

The data room in my house draws in air from the hallway next to my office, so I've replaced all my servers that had blower fans with either ducted noctua fans or watercooling.

I'm also trying to determine if I've reached the point where I need to add a sound suppressing air channel to the air intake similar to a gas power plant.

Cheers,
Bryan

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The 6036 is awesome, but it's an enterprise switch and the fans sound like jet engines...

If you want to have 40GBE connectivity and a somewhat "silent" switch get something from arista and set the fans to run at 30% in eos.

bryan_v

Nov 5, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
www.linkedin.com
Yea that was what I was worried about. The Arista switches all shot up in price since 2020 :( so not that many cost effective options left.

Would you say the Arista DCS-7050 is the equivalent Arista QSFP+ switch or should I be looking for another switch that can be silenced?

saratoga

Nov 5, 2021
Stock it's too loud for home use. You'd hear it two rooms away. However, you can pretty easily swap out the fans for low flow noctua or similar. Actual power draw is ~35w excluding the fans, so not that much air flow is really required if you aren't using dozens of 40g ports at once.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Yea that was what I was worried about. The Arista switches all shot up in price since 2020 :( so not that many cost effective options left.

Would you say the Arista DCS-7050 is the equivalent Arista QSFP+ switch or should I be looking for another switch that can be silenced?
DCS-7050QX-32S would be nearest equivalent to a 6036, obviously sans IB and 4 fewer ports.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Both of them really. They’re expected to be parked in a data center or server room where acoustics don’t much matter.

Both are PWM with thermal control; the Arista has an override command to set PWM at a fixed speed. I don’t know if the 6036 has an equivalent; probably not which is why people fan mod them.

I know my Arista 7050QX-32S draws more than 35W idle, so I’d assume the comment was specifically about the 6036.