Accessing Server BIOS Remotely?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
First off this is my Server Board;
Server MB

My main question is there a way to remotely connect to the server to access the BIOS so I can set the display to the video card instead of on board graphics?

My VGA Monitor got busted in a move.
I do have a video card I put in the server that has HDMI I just need to figure out how I can access the server BIOS.

Has anyone done this if so how?
Btw I have Unraid as the OS on the server.

Please help :(

Last edited:

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
It has IPMI. You'll need to either connect the IPMI LAN port, or set it to "shared" mode to let it share the first LAN interface with the OS. The remote KVM will work, even in the BIOS. On the older boards like the X9, it should default to 192.168.1.99 (has a web interface if you'd rather use that than an IPMI client), ADMIN/ADMIN.

However, the remote video itself might eliminate the need for the monitor depending on your use case.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Ah, right, X9s don't have the HTML5 remote KVM. Best option is probably to install IPMIView.
I would also try IPMIView first. It can scan a LAN range for ipmi devices and work with old Java based ipmi so you will propably find the board, show VGA console with a virtual keyboard to allow bios setup. Default SuperMicro ipmi login is ADMIN ADMIN.

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
Got it working was able to change the setting in the Server's BIOS to use the video card :)
I used IPMIView.