Accessing SATA Power cable in SM 36 Bay?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
From what i see the way to access the mounting cages for boot drives in a 36 bay SM shassis is to slide out the mother board tray. Does this also expose the SATA power cable(s)? I ask because the server i bought - the nonbroken one - had the top lid held is place with a single stripped screw so had to grid the end or drill the head off to get the lid off. Now the rest of the screw is still and is holding the tray in place. So i mayt need to drill the rest of the screw out which i really don't want to do so am i looking for any alternative way to get to the sata power cable to power the boot drive. thx

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
With the 36bay SC847 chassis that I have, the motherboard tray slides back (need to pull on the blue release pin at the front of the tray) to access the backside of the rear backplane, and in the base of that area there are 2 places to mount a 3.5" drive tray (MCP-220-84701-0N). I've mounted a 2.5" bracket (MCP-220-00044-0N) to mount Boot SSDs.

Drive power cables are run to that area, but I think that they are 4 pin molex and may require a molex to SATA adapter.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Thx! I got it after posting. Had to drill out one screw on side cause it was stripped. Got the other out and then the tray with a bit of effort. It was tight. No bracket to mount the drive so it's just there under the tray. Thnakfully had a spare molex to sata adapter. W10 loading now.