Abort replacement/resilver in Napp-It?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

danwood82

Feb 23, 2013
I just pulled a dropped disk from my OmniOS/Napp-It server, and replaced it with a fresh-from-the-box HGST.

I set it to replace the old drive, and the resilver commenced... I immediately noticed the new drive to be noticably louder than the rest, and the resilver seemed to be going painfully slowly (~6 days estimated).
I checked the SMART data, and the disk has already racked up over 400 reallocated sectors, and thrown a couple of errors.

I have one more spare drive before I'll have to hit Amazon Prime... but how should I safely abort the resilver? Is it enough to just hot-pull the new drive, and whack the other one in?

danwood82

Feb 23, 2013
Huh, oddly, it seems to have "settled down" - the reallocated sectors have capped out at 405, and the estimated resilver time has dropped to ~8 hours.
Now I'm not sure whether to just stick it out, or to get it out and try for a warranty replacement.

Anyone have any experience with drives clocking up a bunch of reallocated sectors the moment you plug them in turning out *not* to be duds?

(Edit: It also has clocked up a "Load_Cycle_Count" value of 176 already, dunno if that means much)

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Drives do internally calibrate and reallocate sectors at a hardware level. Possible only a small damaged area but I am sure at the end you should just replace it with another.

danwood82

Feb 23, 2013
Hmm, well I ended up letting the resilver complete - no new reallocated sectors, but it did end up with a small count in the current-pending and uncorrectable fields. Otherwise it seemed to be working okay.

I've replaced the drive with the other HGST now (same model number, bought at the same time), this time powering down instead of hot-swapping.
The new one is very noticeably quieter, and so far hasn't shown any errors at all. The resilver estimate jumped straight to a healthy 8 hours this time, without the weird initial stall-out that the other drive seemed to cause.

Hoping I can still get a warranty swapout, given that these spares were bought around 16 months ago!