Abnormally low SOAF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
I like WAF, but in the interests of being politically correct I've gone with Significant Other Acceptance Factor... Or I'm practising click-baiting?! I say SOAF because there must be boyfriends/girlfriends/wives etc out there who face the same acceptance factor as I do from less tech-orientated girlfriends/boyfriends/husbands...

We're pretty tight in regards to our income, so I have to provide a good business case for any IT 'investments'. But I have been continually surprised because while my wife is less into computer science than I am (she is perhaps 'more balanced', as she has definite skills in CS), she's often the one helping me with tasks, or suggesting ideas to me that I would have thought would come with a high WAF/SOAF.

For example, without the space of larger cases mITX builds are tough to assemble, even when you know what you're doing. While I was overseas, I had my wife (then girlfriend), who had never built a computer before, assemble my SUGO-05 workstation while I supervised via Skype. While she did make a few comments about not knowing what she was doing and if she really had to do it, I had a fun time talking her through it (no-no, the other one with four pins) and she did an awesome job for a novice. She has little hands which help in some tasks, while in others my longer fingers would have been a bit better.

In another example, when we moved into an apartment together, it was her who suggested getting a projector and home theater-in-a-box instead of a TV. I had thought that that would be someone I'd have to convince/sell her on, so I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't. She appreciated that she didn't have to do the research (which I like doing) and ultimately she was the one that evaluated my selections, so it worked out pretty well for both of us.

Does anyone else have situations where WAF/SOAF has been lower than you've anticipated?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Over 2 1/2 decades earlier, I decided to join a small "Oracle" company, my wife was dead against my career move.
Her family and her did not understood "computer", would rather me stay with a traditional job.

I ignore them.:D

In 1990's, when Oracle stock was flying high, my wife watched the CNBC "talking head" commenting ORCL was very a volatile stock.

I ignore them.o_O

I am not sure how low was my WAF back then, but she is not complaining today.

Reactions: mackle

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
My wife also works in IT, so as long as I'm not spending all our $ on stuff I can do pretty much anything I want. Stuff doesn't need to be pretty or quiet, it mostly all ends up in the rack in the basement. The bigger concern in our house is ensuring everything is kid-safe - my wife won't complain if I run a bundle of ethernet cables down a hallway, but we both get frustrated when everything suddenly stops working because our 3-year-old daughter decided to unplug a cable and use it as a necklace.

Reactions: mackle