Ablecom PSU's ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Are they any good? Usable in an emergency? Avoid at all costs?

I know they're loud and don't have a colored sticker that says they're special but is it OK to use them? How is their efficiency?

Like a lot people, I assume, I have a collection of them removed from chassis's bought off eBay. I have always replaced them with SM's before plugging them in for the first time. Just wondering.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You do know that Ablecom is the main OEM for Supermicro, right? The CEO of Ablecom is the brother of Supermicro's CEO. They might as well be the same company.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Puccio

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
OK, so what about the quality as compared to SM branded PSU's?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
My guess is that SM PSU are manufactured by Ablecom.

When I search Ebay, I would incudled Ablecom in my search keyword.

Reactions: T_Minus

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The question remains unanswered. Are Ablecom branded PSU's of lesser quality than SM branded ones? Since none of the Ablecom PSU's are certified I tend to think this is the case.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Generally, Ablecom are the bottom tier power supples that Supermicro offered, one step below the SM branded non-80 plus offerings. On some really old servers, Ablecoms were the only option, but over time their position as the extreme “value” low end option in the SM lineup solidified. Efficiency in some older ones is only about 50%. In theory, they are reliable, but if Ablecom aren’t paying attention to efficiency, maybe are paying less attention to quality in general? Yes, Ablecom are the provider for most of SM’s supplies, but like most OEM/ODM suppliers they make supplies over a range of quality. As 80+ have become the standard for most new SM chassis, there’s fewer (if any?) new ones with Ablecom branded supplies being sold. Since the Non-80+ SM branded PSUs have higher efficiency and better quality fans though, I’ve been saving those to be my spares when I get them in my used chassis purchases. I gutted a few of the Ablecoms and used the shells to “fill the holes” in chassis that are running with a single PSU. I recycled the rest.