A1SRI-2758F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
nice little board, but I hope the AVG54 bug isn't at my door. Installed FreeNAS 11. I turned it off when I didn't see immediately see how to import non-encrypted drives. Turn it on today, started copying files off and then it went offline. Rebooted FreeNAS and my desktop. FreeNAS reports non-descript error 6 for ADA0 SATA/AHCI.

If this is in fact impacted, how do I get it fixed or replaced?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
File RMA with SM regarding AVG54 bug , no charge , you pay shipping to SM.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
nice little board, but I hope the AVG54 bug isn't at my door. Installed FreeNAS 11. I turned it off when I didn't see immediately see how to import non-encrypted drives. Turn it on today, started copying files off and then it went offline. Rebooted FreeNAS and my desktop. FreeNAS reports non-descript error 6 for ADA0 SATA/AHCI.

If this is in fact impacted, how do I get it fixed or replaced?
The AVR54 bug usually manifests in either the system not rebooting upon reboot, or some times having a system that suddenly shuts off or unexpectedly reboots spontaneously once in a while and then will stop rebooting and just be shut off and no longer power on (even if power supply is good).

It's not clear to me from your description you have the symptoms above, except for maybe the "it went offline". Did it power off? rebooted itself? Or, did it just fall off the network or became unresponsive and you rebooted it?

If you contact Supermicro tech support with the serial number, they might be able to tell you if your box has had the AVR54 fix or not. If you do RMA it, I recommend advanced replacement, and they usually send you a brand new unit and also gives you a nice box to mail back the old one so you don't have to figure out packing it.

Reactions: MiniKnight

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
hmm, well what I'm experiencing so far is that the hard drives just drop off.. after the drives drop off, the system becomes unresponsive.. IPMI controls still seem to work (so far), older 2U Chenbro (an older version of Chenbro RM21706).. the system works best when cold, or after an hour turned off.. but doesn't last more than 15minutes or so..

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
We had an AVR54 last week. The system just went offline. On this board there isn't a PCH chip so I'd next troubleshoot with power supplies. Sometimes you get failing power supplies that don't like the pull when an array of drives go from idle to full speed. I think @BLinux nailed it.

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
:(:(:( Power Supplies? err, I have no way of testing that at the moment.

on another note, thinking about power, the X8DA3 won't power via the Supermicro 846 chassis, which I modified the PDU to take 1000W/1280W SQ @ 100V/220V.. I hear a bleep then mechanical click (thermo fuse or relay)? wish I knew.. powers the H8DME-2 just fine.. need to sell this box, changed my plan and don't need it anymore..

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
little update is in order.. extracted the PSU from the former Core 2 Duo FreeNAS box.. o_O not what I wanted to do, but things are working so far.. so, how do I determine it's the 1) PSU or 2) the backplane that the drives attach to?? :confused::confused:

P.S.-- I appear to have Rev. 1.00 of the board. :confused::confused::confused::confused:o_O:rolleyes: RMA request submitted.. wish me luck!

Last edited: