A100 in a Lenovo P620?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

juma

Apr 14, 2021
Assuming cooling needs will be taken care of with a custom watercooling solution, will the A100 post in a Lenovo P620? Does anyone know if it works with other drivers besides the data center drivers?

juma

Apr 14, 2021
I was hoping I could use the RTX/Quadro drivers as I'm not going to be using any of the virtualization features. I would also be using another card for display. I've tested this setup with a K80 and it worked, but it probably wouldn't extrapolate to the A100.

juma

Apr 14, 2021
I've purchased an A100 and verified that it works with Geforce Studio Drivers and the Lenovo P620 straight out of the box. 40mm square fans, up to 56mm in length, seem to be good candidates for active cooling. The typical method of removing the shroud and putting on fans perpendicular to the heatsink will not work with this as the fins are closed channels.

proof.png

Attachments

Reactions: nnunn

nnunn

Jun 9, 2019
Congrats juma! Looking forward to more news about how this goes. Regarding that "View System Topology" pic, I am seeing this right? You have those 5 GPUs connected? Are they on riser cables? Are you running a version of Windows? Any chance you can share a pic or two of this intriguing system?

juma

Apr 14, 2021
Yep, all those GPUs were connected at once. The GP100s and 3090 were on Thermaltake Gen3 x16 risers
and powered by a separate server PSU. Right now I'm using Windows 10 Pro.

I had to take out the A100 to take some measurements and design a fan duct, but here is a pic with the previous setup:setup.jpg

• Love

juma

Apr 14, 2021
I decided to go with a blower fan to keep the noise down instead of two 40mm fans side-by-side.
The blower fan (18.3 CFM/44 mm-Aq) is screwed onto a piece of aluminum extrusion, which acts as a support bracket.
Currently getting 70C steady-state while under 100% load with 80% fan duty cycle.

One thing to note is that the Max Operating Temp from nvidia-smi is 85C, so SW Thermal Slowdown kicks in pretty early compared to recent Quadros.

inside.jpg