A tale of FreeNAS saving my bacon

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Was doing some work on Saturday w/ my main ZFS pool I have my wife's most precious data on (fam photo's/vids/photography business/client data/etc.) removing ZIL device, removal of the hussl went off w/out a hitch manually from cli, I went to add the ZeusRAM as ZIL and did not see it in menu's initially, thought to myself 'screw this I know how to add manually'...added manually but noticed it didn't add by GPT UUID so that pissed me off. Removed and sg_formatted, tried to add back in via GUI, this time I saw the add as log device to pool button...executed....WAIT FOR IT...somehow effing added as a stripe vdev and NOT a log device w/in pool but not in raidz2 vdev...wtf, must have missed a button I thought I pressed. Fark, 6TB resilver at a MAD rate, think ZeusRAM was gettin' hit hard. Found out I effed myself and had to blow away pool to cleanup my boo boo.

Here's where the story comes full circle/main takeaway

I replicate that buggered up pool daily to my other ZFS box w/ a raidz pool of six 4tb seagate expansion shuckers and 2 hussl slc ssd's as L2ARC/ZIL via scheduled snapshots and replication tasks. I had the day before point in time at 12:10pm for sure and two weeks older than that if needed! WHEW!!! Backed up whatever other outlier data I needed to via zfs snapshot send/recv's between FreeNAS boxes, blew away pool and zfs send/recv back to fixed pool w/ ZeusRAM setup as ZIL properly at about 300-400MB/sec :-D Took about 4-6 hours to restore 6TB of data roughly.

Who was the hero of the day...ME so says my wife, good data protection strategies/methodologies in practice! Wooohooo

She even came downstairs and gave my servers a lil' pat on the head/chassis lid :-D

Anyone else smell that???JUSTIFIED SERVER/STG BUDGET!!! BWA HAHA

Filling up my shopping cart now!

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So... those 6x 4TB purchase you just got OK'd?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Nah I had those heh, that's my CYA rep pool. I DO need two more 2.5" seagate expansion or backup plus but just missed them at $109

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Lucky you.
My wife probably would have said - "you broke it you fix it" :p

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
With you there @Rand_. My wife would have threatened my life for risking the data (don't ask about the great data mishap of 2005) and then jibed me for the next few weeks every time I went to "tinker" with something.

Having said that.. She's really supportive when I'm not breaking something :)

Reactions: wildchild