A setup reset possible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I have a centos7 setup. Is it posible to do a roll back to minimal install without a full re install?
I mean , l have been trying to setup kimchi on it and some other stuff, I want to go back to a clean system, is it possible without do a full clean setup?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
VM snapshot if it was virtual...hell even array snapshot :-D

If phys your a bit more limited but having kickstarted literally thousands of RHEL boxes over a career this sort of thing doesn't even phase me...reboot, enter kickstart cmd, walk away for coffee/smoke break...done :-D

Sorry you're having a tough time w/ this, keep your head up.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I would concur w @whitey on that - if you are doing Centos/RHEL/SL/etc kickstarting things is the way to go. When I get new hw I'll do a graphical install once to get the skeleton ks file (typically just to get the drive and network nonsense taken care of) and then merge that with my usual ks files and re-install from that right away to make sure I can reset to known working config. I got in the habit for all my boxes (not just servers I was going to make dozens of) because of the same type of thing you are trying to do.

You can try and to "yum erase xxx" and "yum groupremove xxx" to get closer to the original system if you did most of the installs via yum, but you will still be left with whatever custom configs you had made scattered around /etc/

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Thanks guys, but I have rebuild that system twice since the post. This is a home build. Single host that I am trying to build out as a home vm and file server to hold several porpoises built vms and my media collection. Not much of an issue over all but I really want to have a webgui for server and vm management. And that is a pain in the b$!