A funny story about pfSense

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
I posted this on reddit and figured I would share here too because I think it's hilarious.

So for my day job I am in charge if a relatively large enterprise with about 30,000 total users.

For Firewall on the edge we have had both Fortigate and now Palo Alto. For everything else, we have been using pfSense. All of my Guest and BYOD Network traffic terminate through CAPWAP tunnels behind pfSense firewalls with either a captive portal or a 802.x auth. I also use it for some site-to-site, HA Proxy and some other internal security stuff. Big fan :)

Anyway, about a year ago I put a policy on the BYOD network similar to this one: Your Smart TV is probably ignoring your PiHole - LabZillaWhereby users who think they are clever and want to bypass DNS filtering are basically stopped in their tracks. I find it hilarious because they don't even know how or why the filter is still working because the device thinks Google or Cloudflare or whatever is telling them that the IP of website they are trying to go to is a blockpage on my network >:).

In any case, I asked my Palo Rep how I could do something similar in my production network because I was having trouble getting the NAT rules to commit. Apparently, they can't and he was just as floored as I was. When you write dNAT rules you can't have more than one destination (in other words you can't use "any" destination in the "untrusted" zone or WAN, it has to be a 1:1 mapping). In their own support community, apparently someone else tried to do this 10 years ago and they still haven't added this feature in. Their official stance is just block outgoing traffic to port 53 from devices that aren't authorized DNS servers.

Now, I love my Palo Alto and I have absolutely no intentions of dumping it in favor of pfSense for the job its doing. I honestly don't think I could handle the routing, let alone the fact I would lose alot of functionality in the Layer 7 side of the house and a whole host of other things...Enterprise products are for Enterprise for a reason :p

However, I just have to say - score one for the Open Source community lol!

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Unless I'm misunderstanding your requirement, I think you need a new rep :p
You can very easily do this with a destination nat rule like so:

Create a NAT policy rule
1653324305877.png

Set the source zone as LAN, dest as internet zone and ANY address, set service as dns
1653324391298.png

Then translate the packet using a dynamic ip translation type, to your internal dns server. Static does not work!
Palo FW = source = 10.1.1.250
Pihole= destination= 10.1.1.10
1653324435237.png

So, now a dns request to a server like 8.8.8.8 will actually get sent to your internal dns server (pihole) at 10.1.1.10
1653327032880.png

And you can see the redirect in the logs. It hits my lan-to-lan rule as the redirect makes it intrazone traffic
1653326986520.png

Don't forget to add a nat rule before it that allows your dns server directly out, otherwise you'll create a lovely dns redirect loop :p

Last edited: