A Epyc 7742ES(ZS1406) which behave oddly

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

akkk44

Mar 27, 2018
According to the seller,when he tried to boot into operation system with the supermicro H11SSL-i(bios version 2.0a),the computer shut down.He did managed to boot with only 16cores enabled(2CCD fully enabled or 8CCD with 2cores enabled each),though.

The price he provide is shockingly low and it makes me wants to take the chance.Is there anyone knows is this a CPU issue or it has something to do with the motherboard(BIOS,agesa?)?

What kind of issue could make a CPU can boot into BIOS but can't boot into operating system?I am really confused .

I wrongly post two posts with same content,sorry.

Last edited:

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Maybe being an engineering sample, the chip was only firmware-programmed for a specific test-case??

However I have read a fair few articles on 'memory' related issues, I'd keep my distance from that one personally. Retails are at a good price right now, rather save on the stress and open the wallet a little more.

Reactions: akkk44

akkk44

Mar 27, 2018
Maybe being an engineering sample, the chip was only firmware-programmed for a specific test-case??

However I have read a fair few articles on 'memory' related issues, I'd keep my distance from that one personally. Retails are at a good price right now, rather save on the stress and open the wallet a little more.
The price tag is 150 USD.Considering the price,the seller is preety honest about the weird issue of this processor.He told me that he got another ZS1406 which works prefectly with the same mother board,making the mystery even deeper.

Last edited:

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
It is possible that some of the cores are damaged during overclock, so it only works when you enable part of the cores. ExecutableFix mentioned these ES chips can be easily damaged under incorrectly set voltage.

If you believe the seller is honest and reputable it is worth a shot. Where did you find the seller? on ebay?

akkk44

Mar 27, 2018
It is possible that some of the cores are damaged during overclock, so it only works when you enable part of the cores. ExecutableFix mentioned these ES chips can be easily damaged under incorrectly set voltage.

If you believe the seller is honest and reputable it is worth a shot. Where did you find the seller? on ebay?
It is on a chinese second hand platform.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Seems dead, the engineering samples are from who knows where and I'd believe some of them died in the line of duty. Long ago I had some X5650 ES (back when X5650's were fast) that would go into the BIOS fine, but a few hundred hours of running at elevated voltages and high load made them unable to get into the OS even at stock clocks.

Reactions: akkk44