A dedicated Epyc Rome 128 core PCIE-Gen4 NVMEoF storage server - completed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I'm intrigued why you need it all ;) most usually need a piece of the pie or two... lots of cores, super fast storage, super fast networking, high capacity drives.. yet you've got a beast with IT ALL. Can you share what your home lab does that you need multiple 12TB+ SSD and millions of IOPs, etc, etc, for ? Are you actually getting near any % of utilziation on this, 5%, 10%, 25%, or is it for future \ fun :D
I kill it every few days, but say 3 days out of seven it doesn't do much.

Being a public forum and all, one does tend to have the sensibility to not disclose the inner workings of their income avenues. I sometimes do wish I did everything just for fun, wouldn't that be something! Being a creative professional (rich media) as well as the middle-man for new or upgrading infrastructure for clients naturally tends to deviate into providing services which is where I run/manage functions my end. Ever since having the gig pipe to the net, it has opened the doors to a few opportunities.

Currently I am co-locating as well as running things at home, slowly but surely more of my tasks are going to my leased rack, however having a setup at home which is as close as can be to current tech permits me to 'tinker', nothing beats a middle-man who has hands-on experience, I live by that principle, I live the classic "I've tried all of these, this worked best for this job, most of the nonsense on internet reviews is bull***t marketting, reality is very different". In a way I consider myself as 'retired', and in another way I'm finding new ways to make pocket-change all the time, thing is one never burns bridges, being an ex-consultant is what keeps me in the loop, but it all really started when I began tinkering with old Cisco and Juniper switches, networking was about the only thing I had never touched in my tech career, strange how one thing leads to another. Networking really is a gateway to everything ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus and Rand__