A deal on a dual 2011 motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
Ok so this deal is a bit complicated. Sometimes I am forced to buy stuff off of Taobao, which is a Chinese e-commerce site like eBay, because it is the only way to get a weird part I need. Anyway a friend is bringing me back some parts and was saying he had a bit more space in his bags if there was anything else I might need. While poking around, I stumbled across these motherboards.

全新 Intel S2600JFQ C602 双路E5服务器主板 LGA2011 4万兆 QSFP
Intel® Server Board S2600JF Family

These are some sort of custom Intel mobos for an HPC cluster. The word from the supplier is there are a LOT of these boards. So many they can't find a way to get rid of them. The source didn't have cases for them, but there are so many and they are so cheap that people have started making desktop and rackmount cases for them. I can't find anyone selling the "official" Intel case which is called the H2000JF.

2U 服务器工控机箱 6盘位 支持Intel S2600JFQ 长方形 主板 定制
定制工作站及服务器 立卧两用 英特尔INTEL S2600JF-tmall.com天猫

So the cool things about these boards as opposed to the Quanta OpenCompute ones are that they have a simple power interface, its just a few 12V inputs and the boards come with an adapter for a regular ATX power supply. They have an integrated ConnectX-3 VPI card which is advertised as 40GB QSFP+ IB, but being a VPI card should be capable of 40GBE, 10GBE, and all the others those can support.

There are 3 16x PCIe 3.0 interfaces which would need some risers to work. They also only have a total of 8 DDR3 sockets which means that you will be limited to 64GB unless you want to spend a fortune on memory.

Anyway these might be fun to play with for a home server or some one off project. The main complication is getting these things shipped to the US, but being that they are in Shenzhen, it wouldn't be completely impossible.

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
Not looking for a board like this, but generally speaking, if anyone is familiar with a good way to purchase from Taobao from US and can explain, it would be helpful. I looked briefly into agents like Bhiner and Zarmark, but saw mixed reviews and ultimately just have never taken the leap.