A bit of downtime today

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
Patrick,

I would setup Hyper-V Replica.

The steps are fairly straight forward:
I would build two physical Hyper-V hosts.
For replication, I would configure an external replication Virtual Switch on both servers. The network needs to have the same name on both boxes. Make sure that you have the VMs setup on both hosts.
Enable replication of the VMs on Server One, by inputting the FQDN of Server Two in the wizard. I would would configure the Replication to use Encrypted HTTPS communication, you do have a choice to use unencrypted, but why? Use Kerberos and allow authentication from any server.
Repeat the steps for replication of the VMs on Server Two.

What are you doing for storage?

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
If you do go this route, as a reminder to myself and you, it is important to setup the failover TCPI/IP address on each VM. This setup assumes that each server has it's own storage. This is not clustering, there is no shared storage. This is just replication.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well, using for storage would likely be what is already in the DC. Each box has a 160GB Intel SSD. Two boxes have an additional (IIRC) 120GB SSD + 3TB WD Red. Was somewhat hoping to use SMB 3.0.

Might be time to start a new thread on this.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
Since each host has it's own storage, Hyper-V replica would work for you. The bonus of this setup is that it uses everything you have in place. The downside is that it is a new version of Windows and we are in reality Microsoft's beta testers.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
For those wondering what is going on, a very strange problem in Proxmox. Current layout
Node 1 empty - will be Hyper-V soon
Node 2 Hyper-V Server 2012 R2
Node 3 Wordpress main site
Node 4 vBulletin forums

It turns out that when we power cycle Node 1, the VM on Node 4 becomes unreachable. Forums may be a bit on/off tonight as we troubleshoot so that I can get the Hyper-V cluster up.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Patrick,

I was just looking through your collocation project pictures again and noticed you have several nodes pulled in you C6100 chassis. Just curious as to why and whether you have any issues with them pulled. I ran mine with a bay open for some time and noticed very high temps on the back CPU. Also, The fans spooled to full on and never spun down. I would be concerned with longevity running that way for any considerable amount of time.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Great point. The nodes below are single CPU only. Did see the same behavior so we took spare nodes and used as plugs after the photos were taken.