9207-8i cant find enclosure/backplanes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

td1

Aug 25, 2016
I have a media server running Windows 10 and I am having trouble getting it connected to the drive enclosure.

I bought a Chenbro 31408 rackmount enclosure with two SAS 4 drive backplanes and a LSI 9207-8i RAID card which appears properly set up, running MegaRAID software.

However it finds zero enclosures, zero backplanes, and zero drives. There should be 2, 2, and 5. Not sure how to move forward or who even to go to for support.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Are you running into issues that you cannot see the enclosure when the system boots or once it is booted into Windows 10?

td1

Aug 25, 2016
Both, on bootup the hard drives are not visible. In the bios screen the card is something I can select, LS120, but I cant see the individual drives.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
I hate to ask the obvious questions, but do you see any lights flash on the enclosures when you boot? This is a subtle way of asking if there is any power connected to the enclosure.

Your options include: bad card, bad enclosures, bad cables, incorrect wiring. My first guess if it were me would be bad / incorrect wiring. The fact you can get into the bios and twiddle it suggests the card is probably functional.

That brings us back to the first thing I would check if it were me making the mistakes I usually make. I would disconnect the SAS cables and re connect them listening for that satisfying "click" when they seat. Then I would disconnect the power cables and reconnect them. I would swap out one of the SAS cables if I had a spare / different brand to eliminate a bad batch.

I am mildly curious how you are using SSF-8087 cables when the link you provided claims the cages are SFF-HD which I believe is a different connector ( Supports 12Gb/s mini-SAS HD backplane )

td1

Aug 25, 2016
The enclosure boots fine, windows loads etc and lights are on. The card itself has a flashing green light indicatingn it is powered and working.

Ill give the cables a go again, but yes that is my first instinct too.

It supports that backplane, but the one I have is the 6gb/s one which takes the other connector.