9202-16e / 9300-8e z370 compatible board?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Ok.. so ive had this spec for a while and its pretty stable.

Server 2012 r2

X99 taichi

Xeon e5 2670 ES

Corsair memory 32 gb

Intel pcie nic connected to poe switch for cctv

Kingston ssd

9202-16e hooked up to 4u60 jbod

But its rather overkill for my needs cause im just using it for emby, radarr and sonarr.
And also since its connected to online ups i want it to survive long blackout since it happens often in my city.

So i looked up and built this

I7 8700

Supermicro C7z370-G-L-O

Nvme m2 samsung 970

Same memory

Same cctv nic

same sas card

In terms of power its well below my first build cause the cpu only consumes 65 watt, plus no gpu and the passmark was 50% higher iirc.

BUT its always crashing after being used for a while, and i cant figure out why, even with a brand new 9300-8e. All drivers are installed and OS is already up to date. Occasionally it would lock up and i cant do anything but force reboot it.

Edit : upon checking event viewer, i couldnt find event 2019 / 2020 as suggested on some forums. The only related warning i could find was multiple Event ID 11 - the driver detected a controller error.

So i went back to my first machine. And the issues are gone,
Since the only different component are cpu and motherboard. I'm wondering if supero board have compatibility issue with sas card..

So which z370 motherboard is fully compatible with 9202-16e / 9300-8e?
Kinda dissapointed since this is my first supermicro board..

Last edited:

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Donkey's years ago I used to have similar issues with a custom build server, board was a Tyan Tempest, king of the hill in its time... but after changing PSU after PSU, fbdimm after fbdimm, I eventually just replaced it with an end of line enterprise server, that beast was rock solid under the heaviest of loads. My point? Sometimes you get lucky with custom-builds, sometimes you don't, that's just the way it is, and half the fun of it really. But if you want stability and efficiency, then you are going to have to pull out your wallet and go through a few more boards to find that ideal sweet spot and even then stability is not quite guaranteed.

It really is the nature of the game... or just skip the game and buy an enterprise server but then you won't have anywhere near the efficiency you can achieve with a custom-build. What works for one person doesn't work for another person, so many variables, including the fact that a single defective tiny component on a motherboard can destroy its stability... maybe you should try doing an RMA on the board and ask for replacement if possible just to wipe clear the obvious 'defective' board factor... but then it could also be the CPU too... you'd be surprised at how sensitive these highly-strung consumer CPUs can be, batch number etc, again... it would be a matter of deduction... RMA process is your only way but that in itself can be a nightmare if the other end plug it in and find it not to be faulty.

A)... and before all of the above, it could even just be a simple bios configuration issue... I usually dial everything back to comatose levels when there is an issue and then tweak my way up, a slow and boring process... but again, it's the nature of the game.

B)... are you using a different OS installation? because if you're using the same OS installation, there could be config issues etc.

C)... have you tried plugging the card into a different slot?

D)... have you tried a different OS or version? (sometimes some drivers under some OS's/revisions could be flaky under some hardware configs and you just happened to stumble onto one such 'bug'.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help, but yeah, the list does get big, very big once you begin down this path of finding the real culprit.

Nature of the game in an 'IBM Compatible world' (as it used to be called once upon a time).

Last edited:

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Thanks for the response, it turns out there's a few bent pins on the board!
But im not 100% sure its the main culprit,
Cause even after i fix the pins, the freezing still happens.

Fortunately i could RMA the board and i'm now using msi z970 a pro. Its been running normal for 2 days.

There's s another possibility, i'm using blueiris, and it causes high cpu, after consulting in their forums, the memory leak happens when using intel's latest driver, so i rolled back to older version, so this could also be the cause, but then again theres no way to tell cause i already rma'ed the old board..

Reactions: Dreece

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I had blueiris running once, I deleted it, terrible IMO, but there aren't many alternatives out there... if you find something better, do let us know as I am planning to get our CCTV system back online at some point... for now our westie is doing a dandy job at keeping elderly unsocials away.