8TB QLC SSD < 800USD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Seems like a decent home\storage drive but at those performance #s kind of worthless for most things

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
8TB worth of QLC might work well for a NAS, at that capacity there might be enough nand to keep performance up, and as long as it can beat a 1GB link it's a good option for bulk storage. Price is a bit high for home use but I'd love them for my steam and plex library which are typically WORM scenarios(plex at least I have the transcoder and db files on other drives)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Maybe someday large capacity SSD's will make economic sense but today I'll put my 800 bucks into 5 spinners.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
QLC ... hmmmm
But cool that it seems somebody is not making bigger that 3.84/4tb drives in sata.

Philmatic

Sep 15, 2011
$750 for 8TB is ASTOUNDING. You guys are not as excited as you should be, sure, QLC isn't great, but the slowest QLC is going to be better than a spinner.

The biggest deal here, is that the price per TB for 1TB and 8TB is virtually the same, that has NEVER been the case and is certainly not the case for spinners.

brinox

May 7, 2013
QLC... Hmmm, nope. Next!
I recently bought 8x Seagate Nytro 1351 3.84TB drives for the homelab file server needs. They were ~$402 shipped per drive, brand new. While not in parity with $100 per TB like its referenced here, these are 3D TLC as opposed to QLC. I thought about some QLC stuff but wanted to be able to write at 1GB/sec whenever I finally get around to building out a 10G copper network at home...

Before anyone goes full afterburner flames on me for an all-flash data hoarder file server, I don't have a lab closet to put my stuff in, and I'm super noise sensitive. That and I've wanted an all-flash server at home for YEARS xD

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
The endurance, and performance numbers on the 5210 ion actually look fairly good from what micron published
Micron 5210 ION SSD
360mb/s sequential write is higher than gigabit linespeed and most spinners, .8dwpd for the same is good too, random endurance is miserable past 80/20 but who uses network storage with more than 20% random I/O outside of enterprise use? Enough of these in a raid or stuffed behind an optane buffer should be great for big flash unless you're running a write heavy db application and then you should know better XD

Reactions: Samir

croakz

Nov 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
I think the point with QLC is sure it's good if you have a specific use case, but even then how much of a cost savings do you get?