80m 10base-t copper transceivers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrossco

Sep 20, 2021
I’ve been following STH reviews of 10base-t sfp+ transceivers for a while. Most appear to be based on a Marvell chipset with a 30m rating and 2-3W power draw. This means they get very hot.

Recently, I’ve noticed some manufacturers like FS and 10gtek offering 80m models based on what appears to be a Broadcom chipset. Notably, their specs say they have a <2W power draw.

Anybody have experience with these? Are they worth the premium? I’m trying to conserve wattage anywhere I can mostly to keep the ambient temp down in my home office.

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
Would be very useful to see how these behave with different lengths of Cat6a/Cat5e, both standalone runs and bundled in with structured cabling.

mrossco

Sep 20, 2021
Which units did you get? Are they 10GBase-T only or NBase-T?
These are 10GBase-T units. The specific model number is ASF-10G-T80. I have a number of small formfactor devices with 2.5G that I want to plug into my switch, so that’s why I bought them. I’ll definitely post back my experience.

I’ll see if I can setup a test that includes 6, 30, and 80 meter runs to see how well they work.