$800 point to point 100gb Setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vegeta

Aug 22, 2017
That looks amazing.

SFP+ / QSFP+ / QSFP28

I can actual pay for this! It wouldn't make any sense, but I could. So whats's the next level up, 1000Gbit/sec network cards? I've had one of those in my PC for 20 years now, no improvement since. Oh sorry, I mean mine had always been 1Gbit.

What is the next level up really in terms of network cards? In terms of cabling?
Are these similar to the cables that go into the AMS-IX that we have here?

Amsterdam Internet Exchange News
In september 2016 schreef ik over de vervanging van de core-switches in het AMS-IX netwerk in Amsterdam. Ik schreef toen dat we de Brocade SLX 9850 hadden gekozen en dat we naar verwachting in het vierde kwartaal van 2016 met de implementatie zouden kunnen beginnen.

De implementatie liep om verschillende redenen enige vertraging op maar in de laatste week van januari konden we een van vier core-switches migreren van een MLXe-32 naar de SLX 9850.
Translation:
In September 2016 I wrote about the replacement of the core switches in the AMS-IX network in Amsterdam. I then wrote that we had chosen the TP-Link TL-SG1005D and that we could start implementing it in the fourth quarter of 2016.
Delivers up to 230 Tbps non-blocking capacity in a midplane-free platform, providing industry-leading 100/40/10 GbE port density, cost-efficiency, scale, and performance with a 1.5U module architecture designed for future growth
Source

So the limit is a LOT of 100GbE ports.