8+ Drive mATX Desktop NAS Chassis'

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm on the hunt for a non-rackmount mATX NAS chassis'. It needs to be able to fit at least 8 x 3.5" drives but preferably more as I'm already at the 8 drive limit for this build.

Right now I'm considering the FD Node 804 and the U-NAS 810a. Is there anything else that's comprable that's not a mid/full tower case?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I don't know that you'll find a better choice for an 8-drive compact desktop case than those two.

I'm using an uNAS NSC-810a and am pretty happy with it (after I changed out the rear fans for good Noctua's). The Node 804 is probably a better case if you need expansion or cooling for higher TDP processors - but it is also almost twice the size on your desk (3 inches wider, 4 inches taller, and 2 inches deeper).

One problem with uNAS is that - assuming you care about cable routing and aesthetics - you pretty much have to completely disassemble it when doing your build. OTOH, once its built you don't have to do that again even if you change out the MB or other components.

As far as I have found, to do more than 8 LFF drives, you're pretty much dealing with more traditional standard ATX form factor cases (standard towers, cubes, whatever - but big and little benefit to limiting your MB to mATX).

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Arc Mini 2 which they call a Mini Tower too big? It has 6-3.5 trays plus 2-5.25 bays you could put 5 more 3.5 in? Also space for 2-2.5 behind motherboard plate.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
After dealing with the u-nas chassis for mitx I wouldn't touch those with a 10ft pole unless you enjoy the challenge, hassle, etc ;)

If you had an mITX choice is clear: SilverStone DS380B is a bad-ass chassis!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
After dealing with the u-nas chassis for mitx I wouldn't touch those with a 10ft pole unless you enjoy the challenge, hassle, etc ;)

If you had an mITX choice is clear: SilverStone DS380B is a bad-ass chassis!
The mATX 810a is much better. They learned a lot. But it is not near the same quality as a Fractal Designs case. My main 'like' of this case is its compactness.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The mATX 810a is much better. They learned a lot. But it is not near the same quality as a Fractal Designs case. My main 'like' of this case is its compactness.

Well, with what you've shared and the fact it takes mATX makes it a very attractive option for me then!

I'll have to investigate it further then :) Thnx!

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
@PigLover I'm actually using the 810a already for my backup server. My only concern with using it for this build is the lack of expansion. Right now I have 8 x 10TB WD Golds that I need to house. I've got space to grow ATM but you know how quickly that can change :cool:.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
@PigLover I'm actually using the 810a already for my backup server. My only concern with using it for this build is the lack of expansion. Right now I have 8 x 10TB WD Golds that I need to house. I've got space to grow ATM but you know how quickly that can change :cool:.
Yup - I do know. If you think you need more than 8 drives then this is the wrong case.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I'm in the same boat - sourced nice mATX board recently, and would like to have 8x3,5"+mATX in compact case. Will be used as backup server + HTPC + etc misc tasks. I've found case from istarusa that might fit my needs.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I've got this board going in mine so I'm a little concerned about heat in the U-NAS 810a. Especially since I'd have to change out the 2U Cooljag BUF-E cooler I've got.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I decided to pickup a FD Node 804. They had one left at the local MicroCenter by me on sale for $65. Gonna throw 4 Noctua's in there and call it a day. Gives me the room to add 2 more 3.5" drives in the future if need be, I don't have to swap my current HSF or PSU, and should be plenty of cooling for my setup. Oh, and for less than half the price of the U-NAS 810a :cool:. Not knocking the 810a though, after all I just used it for my backup server build.

Reactions: PigLover

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I decided to pickup a FD Node 804. They had one left at the local MicroCenter by me on sale for $65. Gonna throw 4 Noctua's in there and call it a day. Gives me the room to add 2 more 3.5" drives in the future if need be, I don't have to swap my current HSF or PSU, and should be plenty of cooling for my setup. Oh, and for less than half the price of the U-NAS 810a :cool:. Not knocking the 810a though, after all I just used it for my backup server build.
We all expect a build log (with pictures) :)

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
We all expect a build log (with pictures) :)

Haha, well idk if this really deserves a build log since I'm literally just taking my rackmount server build and moving it into this case. But I will definitely post some pictures :).

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
If you have sata drives might be easier to with something like that: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Internal-SFF-8643-Breakout/dp/B01BW1U2L2
Then connect power anyway you want
I already have those cables. I've been looking for a very clean 4xSATA power daisy chain cable but all of the ones I've found have a lot of space between connectors and my drives are all going to be right next to each other. So for the sake of cable management I'd prefer a daisy chain cable with less than 2 inches between power connectors.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I already have those cables. I've been looking for a very clean 4xSATA power daisy chain cable but all of the ones I've found have a lot of space between connectors and my drives are all going to be right next to each other. So for the sake of cable management I'd prefer a daisy chain cable with less than 2 inches between power connectors.
I was thinking about doing custom power cables.
You need to get pre-crimped ATX wires, molex power connectors and tool (doable without it).

Will look like that: https://hardforum.com/proxy.php?image=http://i.imgur.com/d0Lm43g.jpg

It's quite expensive for one time. Perhaps we have to STH-fund it and ship when someone is doing new build? :))))