76% higher bandwidth & 68% lower latency compared to Optane?!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
We were promised Gen2 optane this year, but I haven 't seen anything recently, if I recall it was lower latency and 2x bandwidth like this headline but some of this has to do with PCIE itself I thought.

DIY NVME I think may be above my level though :oops: :oops: :oops:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
They are comparing pcie optane...
Optane in nvdimm can read up to 6.6 GByte and write up to 2.3GByte. (Source: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1903.05714.pdf)
if I recall it was lower latency and 2x bandwidth like this headline but some of this has to do with PCIE itself I thought.
I read somewhere that first gen optane was limited by the controller(s) used to read/write to 3dxpoint/optane. Not sure if it was on sth or somewhere else.
Maybe @Patrick knows more :D

Reactions: T_Minus

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think what some of the hyper-scale companies are doing is more interesting.

Instead of doing DRAM cache on the SSDs with PLP, they can write to Optane DCPMM, and then flush to large pools of NAND after. Lower latency persistent writes and less extra DRAM buffering in the system to lower costs. It also simplifies the SSD controller since it is not managing a DRAM cache. CXL makes this model more interesting.