700lbs of servers in $700

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jun 22, 2015

It should be 4u instead of 3u and 4x E7-4880 v2 each. Note that HP 1500w PSU is only for 200-240V.
Anyone here dare to bid on it?
Group buy anybody?

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Regular price for barebones DL580 Gen8 is about $150 shipped. E7-4880v2 is like $7. So about $180 shipped for the config like that. Times 7 and you get about the same amount as the OP's listing after you add freight on top of that $700 starting bid.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Regular price for barebones DL580 Gen8 is about $150 shipped. E7-4880v2 is like $7. So about $180 shipped for the config like that. Times 7 and you get about the same amount as the OP's listing after you add freight on top of that $700 starting bid.
Freight for something like a pallet of these will only run about $150. So if it ends under $1260 it was still a good deal. :)

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Yeah but while I can't be sure about the HP's can't the same motherboard move to E7v4's many of the supermicro board can go to a v3 v4 making it a bit more like a truck stop bathroom just washed down with a tanker of bleach. So fresh it hurts your eyes to look.

Still a value at $720 (Best quarter bathroom you ever been in)

Reactions: Samir and fohdeesha

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
More than that, while it was probably great for the seller (and they seem to be a great seller, so I'm glad they're making some $ here), the auction got a lot more popularity after this was posted, and ended up going for more than it otherwise might have. That actually means this post explicitly reduced it's "great deal"ness (I ended up losing after waiting for a week for this). Please don't post auctions here.

Reactions: Samir

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Sorry Layla! Newbie lesson learned for me.
No worries, honestly, it went for a fair price to a good seller and it's my own fault that I typed a too low number on my bid. :) Sorry for being grouchy - I was frustrated with myself for not typing in a higher number on my bid.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
...got a lot more popularity after this was posted...
This is known as the 'STH Effect'. :D

Items go out of stock instantly, bid go the sky, labs get happy, sellers get happy, but only for the quick and the fast...

Reactions: itronin

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
More than that, while it was probably great for the seller (and they seem to be a great seller, so I'm glad they're making some $ here), the auction got a lot more popularity after this was posted, and ended up going for more than it otherwise might have. That actually means this post explicitly reduced it's "great deal"ness (I ended up losing after waiting for a week for this). Please don't post auctions here.
Sadly that's not unique to auctions, the exact same thing happens to buy it now listings here, even ones with 100+ stock. As soon as sellers see the uptick in purchases they raise prices, a great example being the T620 and T730's. After they got posted here all the sellers on ebay raised the BIN prices 30-40% if not more, same with brocade switches. That's why the best deals are never posted in public :p cough discord cough

Reactions: Samir and Layla
Jun 22, 2015
I wonder if we should think of posting more deals in specialized sections. That will draw less attention to resellers who is simply browsing deals here.
For example in this case I should have probably realize that this could only be of interests to people who need a lot of rendering powers.

Reactions: Layla

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I wonder if we should think of posting more deals in specialized sections. That will draw less attention to resellers who is simply browsing deals here.
For example in this case I should have probably realize that this could only be of interests to people who need a lot of rendering powers.
Easiest way to solve that problem is to make the great deals forum not public and not open to anyone less than xxx posts and xxx time on here. Very easy to make these restrictions in various forum platforms like the one this site uses. ;)