7.68TB INTEL SSD D4502 Series DC NVME U.2 $699

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
Nope, just 2.

I figured I'd share. Also, I don't have room for 9. Also, I don't have the budget for 9 :).

Reactions: Samir

posternutbag

Jan 2, 2019
If only my elderly mind could comprehend how these fit in with or replace SAS drives. What does one need to get these working in a DL380 gen10? I’ve got a 3rd spot for an 8sff cage to play around with.

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
If only my elderly mind could comprehend how these fit in with or replace SAS drives. What does one need to get these working in a DL380 gen10? I’ve got a 3rd spot for an 8sff cage to play around with.
PM him. He had it all working with NVMe's but there's a kit you need.

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
If these are dual ported, when you use one of those PCIe-to-U.2 converters, do you get 4x PCIe channels in bandwidth, or just half (as it is dual ported)?

Phoenix92471

Jun 17, 2020
I thought this would be great. it is not. it sucks. the drive runs hot. 75 C right now at idle!!!! when i tried to copy a folder with 500 gigs to it it failed at %20 !!!!!!!!!

WTF !!!!

It crashed my PC... now all i get is....

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

An I/O adapter hardware error has occurred.

Seller does not accept returns | See details

It crashed just now !!!!

Before Restart --

After Resart --

It crashed just now !!!!

...... i thought i would test,

I wanted to have some pictures to add to this post , that I'm posting Now.....

basically I would start copying files it .... it would get to like 10%, and I'm guessing it's getting too hot, because it's a hot Steaming P.of.S***.........

so it's stopping at like 10% 20% if you click on "More" in the file copy dialog, you get a play by play of the speed that data is moving.

When it fails at 20%, it is moving data at 0 Zero... anything, megabytes a second, or whatever.

it doesn't make it through it....

if i can't drag and drop to it............ it's F***ing Useless!!!!

And yes, I know that it is, A U.2 drive that requires an adapter... I have it in an adapter.... I'm gonna take a picture of that as well, and I wish I could post the pics here, but apparently I don't think I can....

i am contacting him !!! $682.00 for a broken toaster!

☹

i love Windows 10. When my computer crashed, I had to use "control-alt-delete", and restart the computer through Windows 10 logon screen, and i got everything back including all the stuff I typed before error has occurred

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
If you're getting 75c at idle that means you have no airflow over the drive.

I'm afraid that's your fault as those are enterprise drives and are not designed to run without airflow. It's not uncommon for drives of that type to pull 15+ watts on writes. You must have airflow over the drive or it will overheat.

Please do research next time as it's totally unfair for the seller to eat the costs because you cooked the drive. It may still work, I'd definitely cool it down and see, but returning it because "it gets too hot" is a operator error, not a hardware failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Return requests get moved to the very bottom of your purchase history.

You need to calm down.

Edit: Looks like he deleted the post or the mods removed it.

Last edited:

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
You did get a deal haha.

I sell a lot of those drives myself (not the same one you got) but enterprise level. It's common knowledge (sorry you didn't know) that those drives need active cooling.

SATA SSDs are intended for consumers and don't require cooling because they're limited by the SATA bus to 550mb/sec.

NVMe u.2 / SAS3 is on an entirely differently level- those specifications are designed for servers in a datacenter which typically have crazy airflow. You can still use that drive in your machine but you have to put a fan over it or have good case airflow.

See below for an example- notice the number of fans. Those are 10k-15k rpm fans.

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Also keep in mind you don't need a super loud fan or anything, a decent fan will do the trick & the drive might still be fully functional.

Phoenix92471

Jun 17, 2020
Hey
redeamon

thanks for the vid, i didnt get most of it.... LOL .... i was never pissed at you , just that i spent so much and i cant use it... i have had the case open, i had a little fan blowing on it , it made no difference in the temps ... after the crash & reboot windows 10 opened everything to where i was except the app hwmonitor which showed no change... but the drive does not show up anymore....

so i m taking it out now...

again thank you for your input...... f*ck ebay

Phoenix92471

Jun 17, 2020
i needed to vent, if i am censored or banned , i dont care, because i found this sight while trying to find more information about this drive.....

for me this is a way to log my (negative ) experience with this drive & ebay.... that being said i also purchased a different drive at the same time...

the cheapest large capacity SSD is Sandisk 4 TB SATA SSD $449.99 on Amazon.

However Western Digital Red SA500 NAS SATA SSD 4 TB, $579 @ Amazon has 2,000 + TBW..... Cool. 500 mbps R/W speed TLC..... $529 for 600 TBW Blue.....

dangling carrots

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
FWIW - this was my drive - I've accepted the Ebay return of course. Yes - I did NOT list that these things run hot, that was my oversite as for those who work with these things daily just know and assume these things. The HP servers these were slotted in had 8x fans pulling air across 6x NVME drives slotted (Cluster of 3x) - With proper airflow these things work well. I actually have some Micron 5210 7.68tb SATA that I'm doing some testing on. I'd actually be willing to swap if you reached out.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It is probably worth mentioning that buying SSD's on eBay (especially used enterprise/datacenter ones) can be a hit/miss experience, there are many potential issues to consider, here is a few:
  • Many vendors (if not most) don't provide firmware updates, if you are unlucky your disk has a firmware issue that makes it unusable or likely to die soon with no available fix
  • Engineering samples (which may or may not work fine), there are a lot of those on eBay, most are labeled as such but some are not
  • Disks that are worn out, but still work a little while longer
I suppose what it all comes down to, is that buying SSDs on eBay is not without risks, I suppose it is a little like gambling.
For now it seems like it has been worth it for me, but I have definitely gotten some lemons too.
i needed to vent, if i am censored or banned , i dont care, because i found this sight while trying to find more information about this drive.....

for me this is a way to log my (negative ) experience with this drive & ebay.... that being said i also purchased a different drive at the same time...

the cheapest large capacity SSD is Sandisk 4 TB SATA SSD $449.99 on Amazon.

However Western Digital Red SA500 NAS SATA SSD 4 TB, $579 @ Amazon has 2,000 + TBW..... Cool. 500 mbps R/W speed TLC..... $529 for 600 TBW Blue.....

dangling carrots
For what it is worth, Sandisk and Western Digital is the same company, so that cheap Sandisk drive might be the same as the cheap WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.