6u case w/ room for 2 rear 120mm fans?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

b1r2s

Jun 18, 2013
Hey all, after reading through some of the threads here, I think I've found my family!

I've got a rack w/ mostly home built 1, 3 and 4 us machines in it. One of these is a game system which is heavily overclocked, and as such has a liquid cooling system w/ 2 120mm fans attached to the radiator. With a little redneck ingenuity I cut the top of a 4u chassis to let the fans/radiator sit on top, but my perfectionist side really wants to see everything inside and tucked away nice and neat. I've been searching for a 6u chassis that would have room to mount the cooler to the back, but most 6u ATX cases I've found segment the mobo/drives into a 4u compartment and the psu into a lower 2u compartment, defeating the purpose for me. Has anyone got any insight on where I can find what I'm looking for?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Another option may be to simply use a shelf if you wanted to keep everything in a rack. 6U is not very common and finding a 6U with radiator mounts will be harder.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
I have done Water cooling in systems before. Put blocks into main system, put Rads, res, pumps and fans into second chassis with quick-disconnects between. Otherwise, put cooling into main top section of rack to cool multiple systems.

b1r2s

Jun 18, 2013
Wow, thanks all for the quick replies, your input is appreciated. I'm handy with a welder, so I guess I'll be merging a 2u and 4u case in the near future. I was hoping for the easy route :)

Here's a link to my rack as it stands today (ordering 2 itx 1u systems for redundant firewalls (sophos utm 9) and then another vsphere box and a san, then we'll see what room I have left.

Computer stuff - Imgur

b1r2s

Jun 18, 2013
LOL yeah it's a dusty rack because I draw unfiltered air from the outside to keep things cool. The fronts are always dirty because it's a reverse airflow situation and the fans are blowing the air out the front. You should see what the dust filters look like on the back every week or so...

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
I think the one guys idea of putting the radiator, res, and pumps in there own enclosure at the top of the rack is not a bad idea. If you are going to fabricate anyhow, I would do this. Put low-spill quick disconnects on the server to make rack removal easy.