6in1 cage?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016
I personally took off the cover/fan to plug everything in, it was a pain in the ass to get SAS cables in there.
I just used a SAS 8643 to 4 SATA/SAS break out cable with no side band:

You could easily do the same with a 8087 connector.
I got 4 x CBL-SAST-024 since connections are going to the SATA ports in the motherboard. I just ordered also 1 x CBL-0157L for SGPIO.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I've had no luck with ICY Box. Their stuff seems to crap itself and by the time it does, you can't get that model anymore. I have 4x 5 drive cages. The LEDs started to go on the IB-545SSK and now one of the drives will not connect. All of the fans have needed to be replaced within 1 - 2years.
The IB-555SSK was not as good but still does the job. The IB-565SSK looks like a plastic pile of junk.
They aren't loud but not in the same room as you kind of loud.
Also have a IB-2280SSK for 2.5" drives, been no issues with it and they still sell that model.
I've never heard of Icy Box. Are they made by the same company that makes Icy Dock products?

(The first time I read your post, I thought you were talking about Icy Dock but then realized the part numbers were totally different)

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
I've never heard of Icy Box. Are they made by the same company that makes Icy Dock products?

(The first time I read your post, I thought you were talking about Icy Dock but then realized the part numbers were totally different)
Definitely different companies, nominally, but they might be getting some designs from the same place.

I can add that my experiences with Icy Dock are similar in terms of fans, they just don't last. It's not a huge deal with the ones I have (Icy Dock MB153SP-B) because the fans are standard 80 mm fans with no weird mounting solutions or connectors. The fans don't fail outright, but the motors lose torque after ~2 years and they become rather useless. Noctua 80 mm fans are sufficient with 5400 RPM disks and lowish temperatures (20-something degrees Celsius), but you need beefier fans for higher ambient temperatures. I'm using San Ace 80x25 3k RPM fans, broadly similar to the Super China Happy Sun fans that came from the factory.