64GB INNODISK SATADOM - $15

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Hey guys,

Been looking at this little listing for a few days now, and wanted to share. I personally don't have a need for one, but thought it was an ok price I guess?

It's 64GB SATADOM SSD's. Seller also has Best Offer listed, so may take an offer for more than one. I checked out the sold page, and looks like he is starting to be more open with accepting offers than before.

For the size, i suppose it isnt bad, as even 16GB SSD's go for around $10 bucks, so 64GB could be good if you needed one. Albeit, in SATADOM form factor.

Here you go: 64GB SATADOM $15

Seller looks like he has a shitload of these left. From my count, over 290 or so.

Only thing I see, is I'm not sure how people will work with that 2-pin power plug. What do you guys think?

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Any one know the specs on r/w speeds or durability?

I guess the power cable is optional if used in a superdom slot in a supermicro board?

Reactions: Sleyk and Samir

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@Sleyk that's a great deal on a 64GB satadom! nice find!

I guess the power cable is optional if used in a superdom slot in a supermicro board?
Nope, not optional with that SATADOM. There are two metallic spring connectors on the side of a satadom's SATA connector to be compatible with SM superdom slots. That's where they pick up power. I lucked into a LOT deal on some SM and Innodisk labeled superdom compatible satadom's and actually have more than I need so I'll get 'em listed maybe this weekend if you need some. They're only 32GB though. :(

For innodisk you're looking for a part number like: SATADOM-SL 3iE3 V2 otherwise search for supermicro superdom
see below or this listing and you can make out the spring connector on the sides of the sata connector.

3iE3.jpg

Last edited:

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I actually modified a small handful of these Supermicro SATADOMs with that exact connector (I had to replace the connector with a JST one to fit the onboard power for the SoC devices I had). I used them in a bunch of UP Squared devices, as pfSense 2.4 (FreeBSD 11) didn't have the Intel eMMC driver for that UP Squared board so needed to boot off the SATADOM on the single SATA port on that board. Newest pfSense 2.5/FreeBSD 12 does.

I didn't run any speed tests or anything but it was nice to see it fit under the tiny little cases with a touch of clearance modification.

I think I paid around $75 for a new 64GB back in 2017. So good price here, if they have no issues.

I might pick up a few, as I hate thrashing the onboard eMMC.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Something like this should work from what I can tell.
Looks like this SATADOM is a 3 pin. So I'd need a 3 pin to 3 pin to go direct to SATADOM from SMB. But I guess the cable it comes with could be altered? so it'd be:

SATADOM 3 pin -> 2 pin male spliced <-> 2 pin male spliced <- 3 pin SMB ?

Last edited:

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Given it's a true Supermicro SATADOM, looked to have the same connector. Here it is in one of the UP Squared boards.

(FYI, the Pentium N4200 in the UP Squared is 25x faster core-for-core than a RPi, and 4x faster than the infamous Atom C2758 core-for-core)

IMG_20170916_174606.jpgIMG_20170916_174540.jpg

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
If you end-up with any of the 3IE3 and 3ME you absolutely need to make sure that they are running the latest firmware. A number of the major vendors, which use these as boot disks for their HCI nodes (Nutanix, Dell, etc.) have issued priority firmware updates. They might suddenly drop-off on reboot due to too many ECC errors or will lock-up due to a firmware bug. Luckily, we only had one Nutanix node affected out of ~30, but it happened unexpectedly.

Dell XC Systems, Powered by Nutanix, may Fail to Boot or may Fail During a Firmware Update under Certain Firmware Conditions | Dell US
HW: Procedure to upgrade SL-3ME SATADOM firmware to S170119 - Restores SATADOM performance (nutanix.com)

Aluminat

Jul 5, 2019
Does this model compatible with Supermicro board? ie: boot from orange sata port with/without pin cable.
Google doesn't return any specific product page helpful.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Does this model compatible with Supermicro board? ie: boot from orange sata port with/without pin cable.
Google doesn't return any specific product page helpful.
No. Details in thread. Those ports on SMB require an 8 pin model that has pins on the side of the sata port on the satadom.

Last edited:

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Waow! Such deal! Much DOM! :)

Someone offered and bought 100 of these little things. I didn't know they were that needed.

Better score a few for myself as well. :.)

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Just got my single digit lot today. Prompt delivery!
wondering if they will cover up other sata ports on the board

Reactions: Sleyk