64 Cores of EPYC Goodness

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
New WS Build.

CPU - 64 Core 7742 from this thread
RAM - 3200 mhz RDIMMs - will get these off Ebay. Either 16 or 32 Gig sticks.
Board - H11 SSL - Ordered from Amazon
Blu Ray Ripper/Burner - Have this a LG WH14NS40
Case Carbide 270 R- I already have this - i was for another build for a video capture box but ended up not using it.
Boot Drive - Was Thinking of getting a Sabrent 1TB Rocket - it's PCIE4 so i can always upgrade the board later if I want.
GPU Gonna get a rx 580 cos this way this can be a non Intel Non NVidia build
Air Cooling with Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
Sound - Some Kind of Sound card or USB sound.
And Maybe a USB Card for more ports.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
This is something i really enjoyed reading! Not because of being fanboy of one or another, but there needs to be a level of competition in this world so that the consumers don't get milked by monopoly vendors.

GPU Gonna get a rx 580 cos this way this can be a non Intel Non NVidia build

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
Congrats on "non Intel Non NVidia build"...

They're both doing a lot of commercial fu**ery to force consumers to buy expensive solutions like locking features, or purposefully borking drivers, etc because they have/had the upper hand on the market share.

The video driver crap I just went thru with virtualization really pushed me towards Radeon Pro instead of Quadro for my next engineering (Matlab/Siemens NX & ANSYS) workstation build... When you pay you should be able to use the product as you wish... There should be laws and fines for that. Intel has laughed its a$$ off for over a decade with overpriced chips and got highly complacent until AMD rose from their ashes and started kicking them in the face. Lets hope this continue for several years.

Since 2008, I've bought only AMD chips and will for the foreseeable future. Right now I'm really debating between TR and Epyc...

Anyways when the build is functional, post some benchmarks!

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Got the rest of the parts - 2 sticks of 16GB each 3200 MHZ RDIMMs (I'll add mroe RAM Later), RX 580, 1TB Corsair MP600, FSP 1200 Full Modular PSU, and Cosmos II Case. This is my second Cosmos II - got this off FB Marketplace. My current and first Cosmos II Houses by Dual 2696 V3s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Update - W10 Ent Installed. I had to change the Corsair MP600 1TB from MBR To GPT Before Windows would install using diskpart during the install.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
With only two sticks of RAM you are seriously impacting the performance. What type of video are you editing? I use my EPYC and 3950x to do video editing as well and each one has their strength and weakness.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
With only two sticks of RAM you are seriously impacting the performance. What type of video are you editing? I use my EPYC and 3950x to do video editing as well and each one has their strength and weakness.
I've got more RAM coming. I just got the 2 to get started. I'll have every slot populated soon. I work mainly with 720 and 1080 video from my news recordings.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
cool once you have all your slots populated can you run some benchmark? I want to see how much performance uplift there is from pc 3200 vs pc 2400 ram lol. You can make a nice ram disk with 16gb x 8 sticks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
@traderjay I am not able to uses IPMIUtil to ultimately control and set the fan speed on the HSF to stop the ramping Up/Down. When I try IPMIUtil I get ipmilan error resolving hostname

Any thoughts?

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
UPDATE: Added 6 sticks of DDR4 3200 Mhz RDIMMs i was waiting on From Ebay. The Nemix RAM was a bust didn't work so sent that back to Amazon. Now at 128 gigs ram. Running 10 Ent. Cracked 21K on R20 with no OC.

Benches with 128 gigs of RAM

With just 32 gigs of RAM:

CDM for the 1TB Corsair Force MP600

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
thanks for the update, so you are missing two more sticks? Please update the benchmarks when you get all the channels populated. Your CPU mark should be higher than mine when all channels are populated. My score is 70352 with 8X8GB PC2400 DDR4 ECC

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
@traderjay I am not able to uses IPMIUtil to ultimately control and set the fan speed on the HSF to stop the ramping Up/Down. When I try IPMIUtil I get ipmilan error resolving hostname

Any thoughts?
Sorry I just saw this. You need to download the windows version here - ipmiutil - IPMI Management Utilities
Unzip it to a folder on lets say C drive root directory and use command line. So lets say you create a folder on C drive:
C:ipmi

you need to do the following when running command prompt:

cd..
cd..
until it reads C:\>

and then:

cd IPMI

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
thanks for the update, so you are missing two more sticks? Please update the benchmarks when you get all the channels populated. Your CPU mark should be higher than mine when all channels are populated. My score is 70352 with 8X8GB PC2400 DDR4 ECC
I have all 8 slots filled with 3200 ram. With the 128 it's as above the 65K.
If I OC the Proc My CPU Mark score actually drops by around 12K. That's with @ExecutableFix utility. But an OC Does improve the CB R20 Score to 23K.

Sorry I just saw this. You need to download the windows version here - ipmiutil - IPMI Management Utilities
Unzip it to a folder on lets say C drive root directory and use command line. So lets say you create a folder on C drive:
C:ipmi

you need to do the following when running command prompt:

cd..
cd..
until it reads C:\>

and then:

cd IPMI
I solved this with SM's IPMIConfig utility.