6 port Intel i350 PCIe Card $46.99 and less for qty

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Why do you pass them thorugh to PFsense? Any speed difference?
Possibly not, but if you don't pass through the raw devices, you pfsense ends up with "VMware VMXNET3 Ethernet Controller" - which probably does not support as many hardware options in the driver - but for most people's usage it probably does not make a lick of difference, but if you need some of the offloading capabilities of the network card, then the passthrough is needed.

Reactions: Bradford

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Why do we need 6 NICs for pfsense? Is it to create 6 different subnets?

Reactions: Fritz

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@kousuke - just as a heads-up, Silicom makes adapters for many of the big OEMs/ embedded markets. They are not a household name, but Silicom makes some quad-port 1GbE adapters for Dell as well.

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
Maybe to have it operate as a switch as well? Honestly, I never needed more than two. There was a time when I only used one 10G port. But I run a managed switch with VLAN support.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Maybe to have it operate as a switch as well? Honestly, I never needed more than two. There was a time when I only used one 10G port. But I run a managed switch with VLAN support.
I struggled days to configure pfsense as a switch, perhaps I don't know how to do it, as I kept on loosing management connection and there was no good documentation for it. It seems like pfsense will never make a good switch as it is quite heavy: Battle of the Virtual Routers – blog.kroy.io. Especially for gigabit links there is no point, I guess...

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
I struggled days to configure pfsense as a switch, perhaps I don't know how to do it, as I kept on loosing management connection and there was no good documentation for it. It seems like pfsense will never make a good switch as it is quite heavy: Battle of the Virtual Routers – blog.kroy.io. Especially for gigabit links there is no point, I guess...
I did make it work on a J3355-ITX board as an experiment. Was able to reach ~1.2Gbps on a 10Gb link with 99.9% CPU utilization :) So yeah, without ASIC you'd need some beefy processor to handle basic routing. Not worth it at all imho.

kousuke

Jul 18, 2017
@kousuke - just as a heads-up, Silicom makes adapters for many of the big OEMs/ embedded markets. They are not a household name, but Silicom makes some quad-port 1GbE adapters for Dell as well.
Thanks Patrick - couldn't agree more - I invested on two nic. the nearly limitless SR-IOV assignments makes these nics a gem for homelabs!

kousuke

Jul 18, 2017
I'm getting these high density nics for its SR-IOV capability - you can have up to 6 physical interfaces for each VM. Great for testing network appliances.

Last edited:

BobTB

Jul 19, 2019
Ok, after using it for a few years, did anyone tried to update the firmware on these cards?
My shows as:

Advertised Auto Negotiation: true
Advertised Link Modes: Auto, 1000BaseT/Full, 100BaseT/Full, 100BaseT/Half, 10BaseT/Full, 10BaseT/Half
Auto Negotiation: true
Backing DPUId: N/A
Cable Type: Twisted Pair
Current Message Level: 0
Driver Info:
Bus Info: 0000:03:00:1
Driver: igbn
Firmware Version: 1.52.0:0x00000000
Version: 1.4.11.7
Link Detected: true
Link Status: Up
Name: vmnic3
PHYAddress: 0
Pause Autonegotiate: false
Pause RX: true
Pause TX: true
Supported Ports: TP
Supports Auto Negotiation: true
Supports Pause: true
Supports Wakeon: false
Transceiver: internal
Virtual Address: 00:50:56:59:e2:b0
Wakeon: None

And Intel has update for i350 AM2 and AM4. Who dares to try? :)

Reactions: SBMe