5019D-FN8TP-X11SDV-4C-TP8F New in Box $500

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
This is a killer deal! I paid $450 just for the motherboard 6 months ago. Another $20 for the correct faceplate and some more for enough fans to keep the CPU cool.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Yep, I couldn't resist also bought some FAN-0100L4 which should be a lot quieter and hopefully will still sufficiently cool it since I won't be running it too hard.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Riddle me this...

I am using InterVLAN routing on my L3 switches (yay, Brocade), I am only running a single subnet to my SoC router device as the Internet gateway.

Wouldn't this 5019D-FN8TP device be most useful for those that configure a "router on a stick" setup instead? Say, a single (or redundant) SFP+ connection carrying all the VLANs' traffic, and all devices uses the router's VLAN gateway IPs - on this single device?

The only thing I miss from such a setup (running everything through the router/gateway) was having the ability to graph and view everything from a single user interface. I'm currently planning a SecurityOnion install anyways, which will have the port mappings/cloning.

I can see the power allure for this... My switch pulls around 80W of power, and my SoC device is about 10W as my router. But, considering the performance I get across 8x SFP+ (10G) using InterVLAN on the ASIC hardware, on an 80W device, plus PoE+/PoH for other devices, I think is better than the power savings of 30 or 40W where I would have to add another PoE+ device anyways.

Disclaimer: I really really wanted this last year when I learned about it. But now that I am moving to InterVLAN everywhere, I look at my SoC device now and say, "humm, just need a single subnet to route."

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021
I should be clear on my question. If using as a pfsense box, it’s hard to justify the price difference.
Depends. What do you expect from your pfsense experience? Do you want to run snort or some sort of intrusion detection system? Maybe some surricata with some nice grafana dashboards? This box will run circles around all that plus maybe you want to run say opensense for remote vpn access to your lab? To simply say pfsense leaves a lot of room for debate...

microserf

May 20, 2019
I have a Supermicro A1SRM-2758F that was pulled from previous duty recently. So, I tried scrounging around for something to put it in but finally bit the bullet and bought a 1U case (SuperChassis 510T-203B). Of course, I want an SFP+ and that requires a riser card. Off to eBay. It should be here by the end of the week.

Then you evil deal addicts post this and induce fomo. I'm going to buy one. I don't need it. I want it. I'll make space in the rack. Sure. Yeah.

I am using InterVLAN routing on my L3 switches (yay, Brocade), I am only running a single subnet to my SoC router device as the Internet gateway.
But now that I am moving to InterVLAN everywhere, I look at my SoC device now and say, "humm, just need a single subnet to route."
Are you using pfSense for DHCP? If so, how are you handing out leases to your subnets?

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Depends. What do you expect from your pfsense experience? Do you want to run snort or some sort of intrusion detection system? Maybe some surricata with some nice grafana dashboards? This box will run circles around all that plus maybe you want to run say opensense for remote vpn access to your lab? To simply say pfsense leaves a lot of room for debate...
I like the fact it has SFP+ ports as I don’t have any 10 GBe ports. My pfsense vm is already on
Xeon E2246G. New purchase will be for standalone.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I like the fact it has SFP+ ports as I don’t have any 10 GBe ports. My pfsense vm is already on
Xeon E2246G. New purchase will be for standalone.
this is what im thinking of doing myself. Just setup pfsense and a few key VMs on that one box and leave the rest of VMs running on servers i currently have.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
What am I missing about excitement around this piece? 4C8T from 2017 that is slow on single thread and does not have enough threads to go around for light virtualization (vs something from officemax that say included 5600G/5700G). Looking for 'light' proxmox node and failing to get excited about this one..

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
What am I missing about excitement around this piece? 4C8T from 2017 that is slow on single thread and does not have enough threads to go around for light virtualization (vs something from officemax that say included 5600G/5700G). Looking for 'light' proxmox node and failing to get excited about this one..
There are >OPTIONS for sure for light virtualization. If you don't need >64GB or many PCIE lanes the later E3 line-up, and if you want >64 and 128 or less the E-22xx is nice option. These only matter if you care about saving some electrical usage too ;)

If you want >PCIE and >RAM and don't care to get lowest power then the E5 v3\v4 is hard to pass right now, but if you want amazing single core and multi-core and not concerned about $ the AMD 5800x w\ECC RAM + MOBO is a good option.

For that $500 budget going to be hard to get more bang-for-buck with high ram and pcie lanes than Intel E5 v3\v4 right now though. Not amazing single core but works great ;)

I haven't found a need for XeonD at all for anything to be honest it just doesn't fit any of my use cases at home or in the datacenter.
For me if I want low power the Xeon E3 v3\v4 has been at a GREAT price point for years and is "CHEAP" now.
Higher performance AMD offering.
Higher performance and more RAM (512GB+) Intel E5 v3\v4 (maybe new gen next year or year after)

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Yes I could get like a DL380G9 with 2x 2680v3 or so for a similar price if I wanted to maxmize CPU power and more drive bays but I don't need that. This replaces a C3000 running a few home automation VMs, website clone for testing purposes, maybe a light game server or two for me and my son and from C3000 is a big upgrade while maintaining the same compact form factor, adds 10g, doubles single core performance and uses only a little more power.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
There are >OPTIONS for sure for light virtualization. If you don't need >64GB or many PCIE lanes the later E3 line-up, and if you want >64 and 128 or less the E-22xx is nice option. These only matter if you care about saving some electrical usage too ;)

If you want >PCIE and >RAM and don't care to get lowest power then the E5 v3\v4 is hard to pass right now, but if you want amazing single core and multi-core and not concerned about $ the AMD 5800x w\ECC RAM + MOBO is a good option.

For that $500 budget going to be hard to get more bang-for-buck with high ram and pcie lanes than Intel E5 v3\v4 right now though. Not amazing single core but works great ;)

I haven't found a need for XeonD at all for anything to be honest it just doesn't fit any of my use cases at home or in the datacenter.
For me if I want low power the Xeon E3 v3\v4 has been at a GREAT price point for years and is "CHEAP" now.
Higher performance AMD offering.
Higher performance and more RAM (512GB+) Intel E5 v3\v4 (maybe new gen next year or year after)
Thank you - yes, looking for light (<64 GB RAM and low storage requirement), primarily to move my service VMs from domain controller (pi-hole, unifi-controller, etc). Ideally virtualize the win server domain controller too .

Dream word - a cluster of few (3?) machines running something like proxmox with ceph replication between, hosting less half dozen VMs . Budget -$1000. Any suggestions?

I dont need storage (have redundant NAS for that). dont need compute (have primary workstation running 5950X), just resiliency and low power consumption (primary workstation is for gaming with 5950 +3080 TI, not good as always on host). My worry of any single piece is that I am relying on single hardware..

Marsh

May 12, 2013
4 of my favorite low cost option today, may be even relative low power

A) E3 v3 platform , $35 for Intel motherboard , $40 for E3-1240 v3 cpu
B) E3 v5 platform , $65 for Supermicro x11 board, $65 for E3-1270 v5 cpu
C) C246 platform , $100 for C246 motherboard , $120 for I5-9500 or I5-8500 CPU to take advantage Intel QSV

Add your favorite 10gbe or 2.5gbe network card.

I retire all my E5 v1 to v4 server.

Another one of my favorite.
HP 800 / 600 G2 SFF with I7-6700 , $135
2 full PCIe slots to add network card and disk controller.

Reactions: T_Minus

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
4 of my favorite low cost option today, may be even relative low power

A) E3 v3 platform , $35 for Intel motherboard , $40 for E3-1240 v3 cpu
B) E3 v5 platform , $65 for Supermicro x11 board, $65 for E3-1270 v5 cpu
C) C246 platform , $100 for C246 motherboard , $120 for I5-9500 or I5-8500 CPU to take advantage Intel QSV

Add your favorite 10gbe or 2.5gbe network card.

I retire all my E5 v1 to v4 server.

Another one of my favorite.
HP 800 / 600 G2 SFF with I7-6700 , $135
2 full PCIe slots to add network card and disk controller.
Problem with the E3 platform is the ungodly price of ECC UDIMM's. :eek:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Last year, Ebay reseller were dumping E3 motherboard with ECC UDIMM.
Intel or SM board with E3-1200v3 CPU and 16gb or 32gb ECC UDIMM for $75.

I was buying $5-$10 for some useless 4GB ECC UDIMM, 4 slots give me 16GB,
I run Proxmox server with 16GB, it would run a bunch Pfsense vms , openwrt vms, vyos vms with 16gb ram

8GB ECC UDIMM was going for $20 each

Reactions: T_Minus

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Here is a screenshot of various VMs running on a Proxmox 16gb ram

chiavm consumes the most memory , 6gb ram , runs my Chia farming node
LabRouter is a pFsense router
Coudy is a Xpenology vm hosting my documents and fileshare

I do not normally run all the OpenWrt router vms.

Attachments

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have 6 older xeon-d systems in the house, none is power on or use.

I am sick , I still looking at this thread and want to buy this newer xeon system.