$500 - 2TB STEC S840 ENTERPRISE SAS SED

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MarkLuvsCS

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa, FL

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Was lucky to stumble across 6 of these on ebay in March, which were refurbs, and by the packaging, I guess they really were factory refurbs ( ??) They guy wanted 750 or so, but ended up paying 500USD @ for the 6, and received them recently here in Oz.. They make extremely good room heaters as well..
Looks like to do any firmware updates etc, you need to have a SW program from HGST , and it appears you need to have a contract with them? Does anyone know if this is correct or has access the SW for the enterprise HGST products?

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Looks like to do any firmware updates etc, you need to have a SW program from HGST , and it appears you need to have a contract with them? Does anyone know if this is correct or has access the SW for the enterprise HGST products?
I think you're referring to the HGST Device Manager software, not sure if there is something else. This is pretty easy to get your hands on by creating an account on their site and registering a valid drive/serial. Either use your own drive for the serial or *cough* ebay *cough*.

The problem I'm having is that their list of drives for which they allow you to register and download firmwares for is rather limited. Basically none of my drives are on that list, no hussl, husmr, husmm, or husml. The HDM user guide even says that it's compatible with the newer SAS3 drives but I don't know how to get the firmwares, I must be missing something...

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I think you're referring to the HGST Device Manager software, not sure if there is something else. This is pretty easy to get your hands on by creating an account on their site and registering a valid drive/serial. Either use your own drive for the serial or *cough* ebay *cough*.

The problem I'm having is that their list of drives for which they allow you to register and download firmwares for is rather limited. Basically none of my drives are on that list, no hussl, husmr, husmm, or husml. The HDM user guide even says that it's compatible with the newer SAS3 drives but I don't know how to get the firmwares, I must be missing something...
Thanks, I did try this, but it would not accept my gmail account... And due to the trashing of the oil price by the Saudi's, I no longer have a work email address..:mad::eek::(

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Thanks, I did try this, but it would not accept my gmail account... And due to the trashing of the oil price by the Saudi's, I no longer have a work email address..:mad::eek::(
I can send you the hdm files if you want, those are freely available, I hadn't realized you needed a non public @email to register since I use private domains for my emails.

The only thing is that these drives seem to be from before the stec acquisition. The HGST site wouldn't accept this serial under s846 even though there are firwmare files available for those models. Safest thing would be to check you serial against their registration thing or you could roll the dice with with one of the versions they have there.

Latest for s846E2000M2 is E4Z1 Feb 24, 2015

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I can send you the hdm files if you want, those are freely available, I hadn't realized you needed a non public @email to register since I use private domains for my emails.

The only thing is that these drives seem to be from before the stec acquisition. The HGST site wouldn't accept this serial under s846 even though there are firwmare files available for those models. Safest thing would be to check you serial against their registration thing or you could roll the dice with with one of the versions they have there.

Latest for s846E2000M2 is E4Z1 Feb 24, 2015
Hello, will send you a PM, the disks have HGST logo and STEC logo.
Thanks Peter