5.25" mobile rack that takes 4x15mm SAS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Hi all,

Looking for a reliable 5.25 mobile rack that fits 4 of HGST SAS SSDs. I was previously using the Thermaltake MAX-1542 but the drives keep dropping out of the system and messing up my ZFS array.

Does anyone have any experience with other models/manufacturers out there? So far I've not managed to find a combination of 15mm + SAS.

Thanks in advance.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
You won't go wrong with the SuperMicro mobile racks. Rock solid. You will probably need to do something to tame the fans a bit - resistor mod or something - or you'll have to hide it in a soundproof room.
I can't seem to find a place to buy this. There's only one listing on ebay for $160.

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
Supermicro if you want quality. The older generation works too: M14TQC | Mobile Racks | Accessories | Super Micro Computer, Inc.
I usually like SM for quality, the 2*5.25" 8 slot mobile rack has very good quality, but the M14TQC has very poor fit and finish, the trays get stuck all the times. I have 2 of them, one is kind of ok but the other ones stucks all the times even after swapping the trays.

I don't know why IcyDock gets so much praises either, very poor fit and finish.

Go with M28SACB if you have 2*5.25" bays, much better quality. You can get the OEM version if you case has good air flow, it's cheaper and quieter without fan. Again I have 2 of them.

If you really want M14TQC , NewEgg has it for $159

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Wiredzone are OK to deal with. They are a direct reseller for SM so most of the time they just forward the order and you get the product drop-ship from SM.