5.25" JBOD enclosure?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'd like to hook 3+ blu-ray drives up to a rackmounted server. How would I go about doing that? I can't find any JBOD enclosures with 5.25" bays.

There are enclosures like this one but I don't want to dedicate a whole server to the drives, I just want to connect those drives to another already-existing server. Can I do that somehow without just fishing some really long cables between the internals of the two chassis, tethering them together?

Reactions: Unas810

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I think the most 5.25" I have in any of my SuperMicro chassis is 2x.
I have a Super Shorty chassis similar to the one you linked with 3x BR Drives and 8x HDD, etc... complete system.

Why not go with USB external and get a USB card?

Reactions: altano

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
> Why not go with USB external and get a USB card?

Yeah I suppose that would be an option. I'd have to buy new blu-ray drives and the external ones are a little more expensive. Also they tend to give me more trouble usually but I haven't had one in a long time so perhaps that isn't the case anymore.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, duplicators came up in my search but:
  • They're VERY expensive
  • I assume they can't be used as a dumb array of drives but I don't know anything about them

dawsonkm

Jun 14, 2014
New Jersey
It looks like they can be as simple as an empty chassis with a power supply. You dont want the actual duplicator board etc. Would just have to figure out how to connect it to computer. Usb, esata, sas.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Last edited:

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
I'd like to hook 3+ blu-ray drives up to a rackmounted server. How would I go about doing that?
There are Tower systems that can be rack mounted that will allow you to add 3x 5.25" devices.

The Supermicro 743 & 745 series are one example. These system allow you to rotate the "Control Panel / Drive Module" to allow the 5.25" drives to be oriented correctly ( ie Blu Ray tray will be "horizontal")

The Intel P4000M series of chassis can also be rack mounted, but they don't support "rotation" of the 5.25" devices, so the Blu Ray drive trays would be "vertical", and I'm not sure if your drives can operate this way or not ?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@britinpdx - didn't know P4000M 5.25 bays could not be reconfigured. Didn't have a need. P4000L allows it so I thought it would be similar.
Good to know. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
@nthu9280 - my bad, I posted from memory and not inspection ....

I just pulled the front bezel off my P4000M and I think you you are 100% correct ... upon close inspection the mechanics of the chassis do appear to allow the thin control panel and 5.25" drive to be mounted in both directions, thus allowing the chassis to be rackmounted and have 5.25" drives mount horizontally.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@nthu9280 - my bad, I posted from memory and not inspection ....

I just pulled the front bezel off my P4000M and I think you you are 100% correct ... upon close inspection the mechanics of the chassis do appear to allow the thin control panel and 5.25" drive to be mounted in both directions, thus allowing the chassis to be rackmounted and have 5.25" drives mount horizontally.
No problem and thanks for taking your time to confirm.
Like I said, I'm not using those bays so I didn't bother to reconfigure it. Now that you bring up the front bezel, I need to go check my garage. This box is almost at the bottom of my rack and attracting all the fine dust in my utility room.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk