5.25" Bay to multiple 2.5" (15mm) drive adapters?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
imho this is a better options for less however without enough negative pressure on the case you might have some temperature issue with the drives.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
There are differnt options for sata/sas, but sadly no other u.2/nvme besides the icydock solutions.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I'm looking to install some 15mm U.2 drives in a chass with 3 x 5.25" bays. I'm considering the ICY DOCK ToughArmor MB699VP-B but at $240+ right now it's a pretty outlandish price. Does anyone know of any decent 5.25" bay converts that can be used to mount multiple 15mm thick 2.5" drives?

This is all I can find right now.

For everyone who is interested in these chassis in the EU >> Src: StarTech 4 x 2.5 SSD/HDD Caddy with Fan – Black

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If you have 2 x 5.25, slots @T_Minus may have the Intel 8x25 drive bay kit. They can take SATA, SAS and NVME based on the model. Not sure which one(s) he has. I recall him mentioning in one of the threads.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
If you have 2 x 5.25, slots @T_Minus may have the Intel 8x25 drive bay kit. They can take SATA, SAS and NVME based on the model. Not sure which one(s) he has. I recall him mentioning in one of the threads.
I've looked at the Intel but I dont see any way to install that in a case that just has 3 empty 5.25" bay covers

Reactions: gb00s

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
The Intel drive bays have mounting points on the top and both (can be affixed to the chassis itself with the aid of a drill). They can also be easily affixed with industrial mounting tape (the bays are quite light), which is very reliable.

You get 8 nvme/SAS/sata bays for the price of your icy dock mentioned that do up to 15mm drives.

Another plus is they have oculink ports that give you compatibility with supermicro and Intel nvme cards.

The real issue, however, will be cooling these at low noise. As these are OEM bays, there is no fan attached and the holes in the backplane are in some funny places. I use a 120mm fan on a fan stand to do the job.

You can read more here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ink-interface-supermicro-aoc-slg3-4e2p.21081/

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
I am using a Supermicro CSE-M14 in my setup right now. Four bays for around $80-100 if you search around a bit. Just be sure to double-check the model/revision... I ended up with one that is SAS3 capable... and one that was only SAS2 and needed a dang SFF-8484 cable.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I am using a Supermicro CSE-M14 in my setup right now. Four bays for around $80-100 if you search around a bit. Just be sure to double-check the model/revision... I ended up with one that is SAS3 capable... and one that was only SAS2 and needed a dang SFF-8484 cable.
Those don't support NVMe thought right?

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
Those don't support NVMe thought right?
Disregard... I did not notice the NVMe part. IcyDock and Intel seem to be the only other choices I have seen as well with IcyDock being my top choice but I haven't migrated to it yet because of price as well.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
The Intel drive bays have mounting points on the top and both (can be affixed to the chassis itself with the aid of a drill). They can also be easily affixed with industrial mounting tape (the bays are quite light), which is very reliable.

You get 8 nvme/SAS/sata bays for the price of your icy dock mentioned that do up to 15mm drives.

Another plus is they have oculink ports that give you compatibility with supermicro and Intel nvme cards.

The real issue, however, will be cooling these at low noise. As these are OEM bays, there is no fan attached and the holes in the backplane are in some funny places. I use a 120mm fan on a fan stand to do the job.

You can read more here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ink-interface-supermicro-aoc-slg3-4e2p.21081/
Do you mind sharing how you handle the power connection ?? do you know if you can use those molex to 4pin atx adapter to power the drive bays ?

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I use a 4 pin CPU power connection (half of 8 pin CPU). I'm really note sure if molex power would work or nothing and I can't find any information on the power requirements of the A2U8X25S3PHS to shed further light.

However, if rule of thumb is to run max 2-3 hdds on a single molex, I don't see how you can run 8 nvme drives on a single molex.

Rock

Jan 28, 2020
Northern California
I use a 4 pin CPU power connection (half of 8 pin CPU). I'm really note sure if molex power would work or nothing and I can't find any information on the power requirements of the A2U8X25S3PHS to shed further light.

However, if rule of thumb is to run max 2-3 hdds on a single molex, I don't see how you can run 8 nvme drives on a single molex.

I'm running a 16 bay icydock. It has 4 SATA power connections which I am powering from 2 molex by using molex to dual sata power splitters.
My Icydock just spun up with 10 SATA SSD drives last night.