4x titan V prototype 1

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
I saw this over at HardOCP today. Quite a beautiful build you've really made something compact yet powerful. To think this is probably the fastest desktop on the planet right now by compute performance per physical space.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Reactions: Phrogz and frogtech

voodooFX

Jan 26, 2014
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Can you run Linpack?
Would be nice to compare the results with some old Supercomputers

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Yes, I’ll be glad to run Linpack and a few other benches for the members

I just have to survive this week at work; I haven’t had a chance to play with it all week (the pc)

Reactions: maia and T_Minus

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
I did have a 1050ti in that 5th slot

but it seemed out of place

it was cool in the nvcpl to see 4 Titan V and the ti

the x10drg-q motherboard has two additional unique features of great value:

1 - let’s you use all the 7 slots even if 4 slots have two slot wide video cards

2 - the primary video slot is the lowest slot on the pic; so your primary video card is the coldest card

5D5F25D8-C556-4950-B28C-CC6FADDFBE69.jpeg

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
There is also a guy doing 4 x Titan V in a Cerberus case which is pretty crazy :)
Also Super tiny case ~18l in size
Cerberus

Centauri68

Oct 27, 2013
Wisconsin
This build and you Sir(knowledge) are a inspiration. I'm in the process of putting together,my very first primarily workstation plus gaming rig. A modest build at any-rate(AMD 1700x etc..). I plan on doing more & learning more as time goes bye. Looking at your builds over the years is pure motivation. EXCELLENT JOB.

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
In a 72'F room the Titans V's are 97'F under load the get as high as 172' F (78'C)
Wow. That is surprising and impressive. Are the Titans beginning to throttle at that temperature?

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Wow. That is surprising and impressive. Are the Titans beginning to throttle at that temperature?
While some review sites have seen throttling, I have not. Throttling begins somewhere around 84-85'C.

Also, I run without the backplates on the cards. Seem to remain much cooler

AND

I took all four cards appart and reassembled. I use Kryonaut for the TIM and as for for the MOSFET and VRMs I used Fujipoly / mod/smart Ultra Extreme XR-m Thermal Pads

So I think I've conquered any heat issues

I'm trying to find a suitable solution for the front coolers as on testing (using two waterblocks-temporarily) I was able to get the NVlink to work. BUT I can't fit the NVLink with the stock coolers.

I'm considering being precise and dremeling out notches in the front coolers. Just haven't got the balls yet to take the dremel to the 3k a piece cards....

Last edited:
Reactions: Phrogz and maze

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Benches are coming

I’ve been busy. This whole “working for a living” this keeps getting in the way ;)

Also I’ve had to do a few clean installs and just now I’m back where I was

The problem:
I was using happily win server 2012 data center and dodging win 10

Well these cards only have drivers on 3 OSs: Windows 7, Windows 10 and Ubuntu

So PAINFULLY... I moved to Windows server 2016 data center

I had to get rid of telemetry, the way it does updates, the instability, all the background crud, preserve my privacy, and spend hours in the registry fixing things that have been broke without a fix since the day it was released. I have been in DCOM, registry, group policy, local sec, Serv mngr etc all BEFORE I even installed the first non MS app.

So that took a few days to learn from scratch, conquer and fix.

Then to use nvidia GPU CLOUD you’ll Need Ubuntu - so now I’m getting my secondary boot drive (another 960pro 2TB) loaded up correctly for that - well plenty of fixes in that are being undertaken. I like Ubuntu, but what made it complicated is that rather than being something I play with occasionally I decided to make it my base load. So other than nvidia stuff I’ve also imported my mail, the Unix variant of my two big apps, setting up VMs for apps that absolutely cant be Linux, had some DB issues etc.
yep, actually fully adopting Ubuntu was is a learning curve for me

So

Benchmarks are coming

Some fun things I was able to do in the meantime on the titan v’s :
Finished wolfenstein new colossus and the old blood
Finished Echo
Finished titanfall2
Finished a few other games

Got amazing performance on wolfenstein new colossus pre-patched

Anyhow

Benches are coming

Last edited:
Reactions: jfeldt and Phrogz

Boris

May 16, 2015
I had to get rid of telemetry, the way it does updates, the instability, all the background crud, preserve my privacy, and spend hours in the registry fixing things that have been broke without a fix since the day it was released. I have been in DCOM, registry, group policy, local sec, Serv mngr etc all BEFORE I even installed the first non MS app.
Just wondering. You used some kind of guide? Or only based on your knowledges?
If it's complete guide, could you, please, share a link?

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Just wondering. You used some kind of guide? Or only based on your knowledges?
If it's complete guide, could you, please, share a link?
If only there was a guide, I searched

But all I found was sparse solutions to large MS unanswered request from many people. Example, failed appid {67813 etc etc etc} didn’t have permission.... lots of that

In telemetry - voodoo! The boys in Redmond are going all out.... so much to learn, so much misinformation

And so forth

I started with the usual set up of 2016 DRB as a workstation and moved all the way through all the little red Xsin event viewer- one by one solving each one, then the same in event viewer for applications etc

Then all the crap with connected devices platform, user experience, and more

Then came the Windows Update (you know: “who does number two work for? AP)
So gaining control of WU and making run only when I want and only download / install what I want etc

It goes on and on

Then there was their imbedded virus/sabotage device:
Reproducible 100% (8 reloads worth):
Mess with telemetry the right way and windows update, and the shellhost destroys the desktop/start button
When you lose the start button, none of the recommended MS fix actually resolves anything. reload at that point

Solution was to prevent the 1-2-3 trigger, but finally figured it out

It took me me 4 days (between work wife kids toys etc) to get it fast smooth and make it feel like it should

I made a base load with only ms OS, ms apps, and ms updates. Didn’t mess with anything , made a perfect base clone disk and every single time I lost the start button I sent back to my base restore/clone disk and tried a different path to solve

Eventually got there

I WISH there was guide!
I did keep a decent copy pasted notepad so maybe when I get time I’ll clean it up and share

J

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
If only there was a guide, I searched

But all I found was sparse solutions to large MS unanswered request from many people. Example, failed appid {67813 etc etc etc} didn’t have permission.... lots of that

In telemetry - voodoo! The boys in Redmond are going all out.... so much to learn, so much misinformation

And so forth

I started with the usual set up of 2016 DRB as a workstation and moved all the way through all the little red Xsin event viewer- one by one solving each one, then the same in event viewer for applications etc

Then all the crap with connected devices platform, user experience, and more

Then came the Windows Update (you know: “who does number two work for? AP)
So gaining control of WU and making run only when I want and only download / install what I want etc

It goes on and on

Then there was their imbedded virus/sabotage device:
Reproducible 100% (8 reloads worth):
Mess with telemetry the right way and windows update, and the shellhost destroys the desktop/start button
When you lose the start button, none of the recommended MS fix actually resolves anything. reload at that point

Solution was to prevent the 1-2-3 trigger, but finally figured it out

It took me me 4 days (between work wife kids toys etc) to get it fast smooth and make it feel like it should

I made a base load with only ms OS, ms apps, and ms updates. Didn’t mess with anything , made a perfect base clone disk and every single time I lost the start button I sent back to my base restore/clone disk and tried a different path to solve

Eventually got there

I WISH there was guide!
I did keep a decent copy pasted notepad so maybe when I get time I’ll clean it up and share

J
I was gonna say, if you kept notes it would be amazing if you shared ^^, then I saw your last line.