4U Supermicro Storage Expander 3.5" 45 Bay Server JBOD CSE-PTJBOD-CB2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Less than 2 hours to go. Currently at $266. Good luck. :)

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
They will work for some time, but from what i read sata + sas expander is deadly combination. This is what people reporting happens: when one of the sata drives start not responding it block communications to other drives and you cant address them till you pull the plug. I don't know this from personal experience, but from my research.

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
I always use hba and direct attached backplanes to avoid this issue since i use sata drives mostly.

Remember that connecting sas card with sata drives is working by running sata protocol under sas, and all the rules for sata still apply for them. I dont see a problem when they are adressed individual with hba, but sas expander is like a sas switch that have to address each drive properly and then presented properly to your controler card.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I run pure SATA drives in all of my SAS backplanes from SAS1 Supermicro 846, some SAS2 Supermicro's and some SAS3 HGST chassis. No issues out of any of them using SATA drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
Honestly I don't have enough experience with sas expanders to say conclusively one way or another if there is an issue. I can find the link , it was on this forum but I can't find it. The blog explains why.

When you say "I never had problem" I assume you are saying you find out just trying, and if that's the case it is definitely not good enough for the people who really value their data. Like saying "my uncle keep the barbeque propane bottle next the fireplace and never had a problem" it dont mean it's ok then is it ?:)

For me reliability is the most important factor. I like to make things work from the first time till end of time so to speak:) or set it and forget it.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Honestly I don't have enough experience with sas expanders to say conclusively one way or another if there is an issue. I can find the link , it was on this forum but I can't find it. The blog explains why.

When you say "I never had problem" I assume you are saying you find out just trying, and if that's the case it is definitely not good enough for the people who really value their data. Like saying "my uncle keep the barbeque propane bottle next the fireplace and never had a problem" it dont mean it's ok then is it ?:)

For me reliability is the most important factor. I like to make things work from the first time till end of time so to speak:) or set it and forget it.
Well with that comment I will comment back and say you provided no evidence of any issues running SATA drives in a SAS enclosure so just because you read about a car accident somewhere under some random conditions doesn't mean we should all be too scared to drive if we value our lives. And yes, that's meant to be sarcastic just like your comment.

Now if you can provide data to back up your claim I'll admit I'm wrong. And I don't mean from some random forum or blog post from a random individual that could have had bad cables, a faulty backplane, a craptastic SAS card.. As far as I have ever known, SAS is backward compatible with SATA but not the other way around.

Till then I will side with the millions of other SATA hard drives running in a SAS environment without issue.

Reactions: Aestr and Fritz

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
Well with that comment I will comment back and say you provided no evidence of any issues running SATA drives in a SAS enclosure so just because you read about a car accident somewhere under some random conditions doesn't mean we should all be too scared to drive if we value our lives. And yes, that's meant to be sarcastic just like your comment.

Now if you can provide data to back up your claim I'll admit I'm wrong. And I don't mean from some random forum or blog post from a random individual that could have had bad cables, a faulty backplane, a craptastic SAS card.. As far as I have ever known, SAS is backward compatible with SATA but not the other way around.

Till then I will side with the millions of other SATA hard drives running in a SAS environment without issue.

You have a good point there. I really like the way you think. I'll look for the link ans provide it when i find it.

Just to be clear: There is no issues running sata drive conneted to sas interface (hba or raid card)Thats perfectly fine and it is compatible. The issue I am raising is when you introduce SAS Expander between your sata drives and your sas hba or raid card.

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
I'll quote the reason why:

"It's when you add SAS expanders (and SATA Tunneling Protocol) to the mix that you start encountering weird errors with misbehaving SATA disks. SATA simply isn't designed with a switching fabric in mind, and it looks like firmwares still aren't robust enough to deal with command tunneling reliably in the presence of errors."

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I don't say I have any specific experience with sata drives on a sas expander but the vendors like HP support it so can't be that bad can it ?
Anyway always the option just to use direct connect. HBA are not that expensive compared to the expander anyway. Since most people want JBOD for ZFS. Sure and expander is good for hardware RAID.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I run a mix of SAS and SATA drives in all my boxes and have never had a problem. They all have SAS2 backplanes.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I hove dozens of 12+ drive SM servers with SAS2 and SAS3 backplanes with SATA drives for years without problems.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The gripe is with the expander backplane;)

See SATA drives behind expander still a no-go? for another recent discussion around this
Backplane being the expander in this case.
Anyway I can't say I have any exerpiece really since I only use SAS but was just saying that HPE make it work so can't be that bad or they would not support it. I don't disagree they have potentially custom firmware on the drives but it can't be that special.

HP support 26 drives on an expander with 2 * x4 connections on the SAS3 expanders in a DL380 gen9 anyway.