4U Chassis Recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Supermicro is pretty much the way to go for cost/quality as long as you can stand the noise or replace alot of the louder parts.

Reactions: nikalai

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Supermicro's the best bang for buck of compatibility, performance, and reliability without having to go big name enterprise equipment (Dell, HPE, or the like).

The more generic norco and chenbro's are going to be lower quality and less reliable (still decent units, but SM wins hands down).

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Rack or Tower? Need a lot of drives or not?

How much space do you need for two mainboards in on case? You sure these will fit in a regular one (EE-ATX/SEB)?

Jul 16, 2019
Supermicro's the best bang for buck of compatibility, performance, and reliability without having to go big name enterprise equipment (Dell, HPE, or the like).

The more generic norco and chenbro's are going to be lower quality and less reliable (still decent units, but SM wins hands down).
Ok, so I'm on the right track. Thanks.

Jul 16, 2019
Rack or Tower? Need a lot of drives or not?

How much space do you need for two mainboards in on case? You sure these will fit in a regular one (EE-ATX/SEB)?
Rack. Don't need alot of drives. Would like a U.2 drive slot which this case lacks, but I'll probably fashion something to fit somewhere.

I won't need 2 mainboards in one case, I'm looking at a dual slot Epyc mobo and a Threadripper mobo (separate builds).

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Fixed u2 or hot swap?
Have not seen 4u with nvme hotswap tbh but have not looked specifically...
Fixed should be easy.

You also could use the 743/5 and add a 5.25 based hotswap option (icydock)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well than anything with redundant psu's and non hotswap or 5.25 bays should work fine - from any of the build yourself server vendors - Supermicro or Intel chassis i'd say

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Intel P4000 chassis with redundant power supplies are 24/7 workhorses. Heavy tanks, and can switch from pedestal to rack or vice versa. I highly recommend them