AVOID - 4U, 2x Node, 4x E5 V3/V4, 56x LFF SAS3 3.5" bay - $299 - CISCO UCS C3260

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Dec 19, 2020
$300 shipping though (freight)... Thought about contacting them to see if they would use my UPS account number. Yikes.

$300 is for standard Freight. However, they can ship 1 unit via normal fedex/ups if you contact them direct.
Messaged the seller about normal shipping, they told me freight only ($650).

Heh, on the contact page it shows 492 items remaining.

You'd think they would give a deal or two to get the word out...
Seller ended the original listing after selling only 12, but still has the listings that are with their 10TB SAS HDDs up.

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
revisiting this, finally got time

received the cable, does linux/ubuntu recognize the 40g port or does it require driver?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Therefore, this is a 2100 watt system (2 x 1050W PSUs configured as 2 + 0). That exceeds a standard 120VAC 15A circuit. However, that's under max load. If you don't fill the system up, you're looking at far far less power.
I've loaded up 6000va on a 20a 110v before and that breaker is HOT when it finally trips.

One thing that helped my use case (besides shutting stuff off, lol) was to use UPS units on everything so the UPS units as a bit of a buffer. No more tripping (or potential fire hazards).
FRU for me has always meant Field Replaceable Unit. Pretty much what it sounds like. Parts that can (relatively) be easily swapped without returning the device to the factory.

edit
also parts that can be added or upgraded once the unit has been deployed.
IBM used FRU and CRU - Factory/Field Replacement Unit and Customer Replacement Unit. Usually the CRUs were available to customers while the FRU was IBM or authorized repair only. But most parts would have both the FRU and CRU numbers on them unless they were the original factory part as some of those would not have the CRU as they were installed 'at the Factory'.

Reactions: eduncan911

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
damn the 40g to 4x 10g is so fast! too use to the old gigabit ethernet im amazed just how fast this is, had to raid a couple of drives together to test the speed, really impressed!

btw does anyone know how to set up remote control through the management port? when I try to launch kvm it says BMC IP is not set, which I don't understand why it needs to be set as other servers such as HP doesnt require it, only needs to have access to iLO and thats it.

on the back of SIOC there are two ethernet port, one is ACT/LINK, which is the management port. the other ethernet port says console. do I need to setup the BMC IP and connect both management port and console port to a switch in order to remote control this?

edit: set up the CMC/BMC following the video, loaded up kvm viewer but got this instead.. any idea what to do to get this to work?

1666556782675.png

edit 2:

after checking all settings seems fine, looks like chrome just doesn't allow it, probably some settings. in edge it gives the same access deny page but by pressing enter on in the address bar it loads where as chrome doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Slothstronaut

Apr 27, 2022
The UCS CIMC/BMC will require 5 IP addresses when fully connected. 2 IP for the CIMC, 1 floating VIP for the CIMC and then 2 BMC IPs for the KVM functionality. Everything happens over the gigabit ports on the SIOC unless you configure it to be a VLAN on the 40Gbe ports. The serial console ports on the SIOC are a debugging port that gives you a console into the CIMC for remote deployment/configuration.

Reactions: jtaj and Samir

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
alright! so the fan is hella annoying, the HDD/server cooling fan is ok as I can replace it with something else and power the new fans with one of the SAS power but the PSU fan is hella high.

seems with only 1 PSU plugged in regardless of temperature, with 48 drives populated it probably draws a lot of current hence its spinning up due to power rather than temp. this is what it shows

1668592331939.png

1668592617663.png

I wanted to replace the fan in PSU and its 40x40x28 4 pin with a lower rpm one, enough to keep cool while not having such high pitch noise. I took it apart and fan is easy enough to get to (thank god). it is 4 pin red/black/white/blue color fan but I am unable to find specs other than 12v 1A and at peak it spins at around 14k-15k rpm in the server.

I'd be happy to find a replacement fan between 4-6k rpm max but I am tempted to run it without the fan. (some laptop with 330w PSU doesn't have fans and enclosed in some plastic casing so airflow would be worse than this, as this is metallic enclosure but obviously sits in the server).. whats the worst case scenario with running PSU by removing the tiny fan?

1668592439577.jpeg 20221115_215432.jpg