4TB Windows Server Boot Drive MBR vs GPT

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
Hi all,

Can someone help me on this? I currently have a lenovo ThinkServer TS140 running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a 2x1TB HDDs RAID1 volume. The RAID1 volume is MBR and is partitioned into two partitions (1 for OS, 1 for data), but I want to replace the entire volume with larger drives (2x4TB HDDs). When I do this, I'll effectively have a 4TB boot drive. The TS140 has a UEFI Bios, but the volume is MBR. Will that work, or does the volume have to be GPT in order to boot from it? Bottom line, I guess: With an UEFI Bios, can you boot from a 4TB MBR volume?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
You will need for everything over 2tb gpt (mbr size limit = (2^32) * sector size (most hdds use or emulate 512 byte sectors))

Reactions: abq

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I do not recommend doing a booting GPT system. it causes too many issues if you want to P2V the system .

just giving you warning. I would recommend a separate OS and data drive if you can do that in that system.

Chris

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
I do not recommend doing a booting GPT system. it causes too many issues if you want to P2V the system .

just giving you warning. I would recommend a separate OS and data drive if you can do that in that system.

Chris
Hi Chris, does "P2V" mean partition into two volumes? Thanks.

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
Physical to virtual
Oh, okay. Well, it's a real simple setup, just two partitions (1 for OS, 1 for Data). It's Server 2012 R2 Essentials which is just being used for a file server, client computer backups, and a few applications (accounting program, etc.). Do you think a GPT boot drive would be okay for that, or still better not to do?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
GPT is great for data drives. not so much unless you are building a secure environment.

You are not planning on any raid for the data?

Chris

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
The system/OS/boot/data drive is all one 1TB HDD with C: (OS) and D: (data) partitions. So everything is on RAID1. It's not an ideal setup. I'd rather have a separate OS drive and Data drive, but I'm just working with what came before me. Trying to increase storage space with minimal downtime.

manfri

Nov 19, 2015
if i can physicaly, and if the existing drive are ok i would add the new drive, move the data to the new drive and decommission the old d: partition.
WIth this setup backup & restore with windows backup will be much easier.
But the idea to do a P2V conversion alse have a lot of advantages...