4TB PCIe SSD $150 - Good deal or waste of money? Manufacturer: RazorBack?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xzec

Nov 2, 2022
Found this 4TB PCIe SSD listed on ebay. The seller auto accepts offers of $150. Not sure if this can be booted from or how the storage can be used but it might be worth a try for the low cost/TB. It's from a company that i cannot find any information on whatsoever "RazorBack". I bought 1 so we'll see what happens. Ill report back my findings.

Reactions: Aluminat and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Strange one. Definitely let us know how it goes! It sounds akin to the IBM accelerators that were only good for their servers.

Reactions: Aluminat

gardar

Nov 15, 2012
Not able to find much info on these but found some hints that suggest these are made by Toshiba.

COO-TW 1030556-03 ASSY , RAZORBACK PCIE X 8 , 4096GB ETLC , 2048GB SCREENED 3D BICS G3 ODP , 1.8V , TOSHIBA , REV B1 CONTROL

Assy, Razorback Pcie X 8, 4096gb Etlc, 0.3.14 Canary, 2048gb Screened 3d G2 Odp, 1.8v, Toshiba, - Taiwan

Also found a forum post where someone is actually trying to use one of these but unsuccessfully unfortunately

Curious what servers these came from as there are actually a few sellers on ebay that have these cards listed.

Reactions: Samir

fake-name

Feb 28, 2017
Yeah, these are interesting if dubious bits of kit. The fact that it has a pretty obviously custom mounting bracket is also of note.

The label does specify "TLC", so it's either a terrible coincidence, or it's using TLC flash, so I'd imagine it's intended for primarily read-based workloads.

I'm not convinced Razorback is the manufacturer, it might be the product line or similar.

Someone is selling a 10-pack of the things as well: Lot of 10 Razorback 4TB TLC SSD Enterprise Accelerator PCIE Card KR115194-15903 | eBay

How is it new if it's pulled from a server?
Because the server is new?

Also found a forum post where someone is actually trying to use one of these but unsuccessfully unfortunately
Arrrgh, what a frustrating series of posts. Like, my dude, does it show up in device manager (why would you do this on windows)? What about `lspci`. Or dmesg. Gah.

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Something tells me the seller's 100% rating isn't going to last much longer.
With how happy ebay is to remove reviews for any vague reason you feel its not correct, id say they can hold it if they want.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Price is awesome, 150 for 4TB - and my guess is that it probably have all the required enterprise features you require - or at least the most important one PLP :)

But heatsink on both sides - I guess it gets hot like crazy :)

Also it looks like there are no real mounting holes for a pcie-bracket - so a 3d-manufactured bracket would have to be made - unless you just get a pcie-cable and mount them whereever in a case - or outside for heat dissipation :)

If I was not actively avoiding items that probably use a lot of power - I would consider buying one - just to get a dmesg/dmidecode to find out what its all about.

My guess is that its a regular pcie nvme, formatted weirdly and thats why windows could not see it - and in linux you can fix stuff like that - but the suspected power consumption and weird mounting bracked and 100% heat issues is a no go for me :)

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
But heatsink on both sides - I guess it gets hot like crazy :)
As you leave sata stuff you can generaly expect to enter the 10-25w territory instead of 1,5-4w.

1per host as cache infront of the satas is already overkill for most.

Quartermaster

Right, now pay attention 007!
Jun 3, 2020
This is an end to end custom design (hardware, firmware, drivers) built by a hyperscaler to meet their needs (read: not industry standards). You likely won't get it working well (or at all) without some reverse engineering.

Reactions: mach3.2 and Samir

abq

May 23, 2015
This is an end to end custom design (hardware, firmware, drivers) built by a hyperscaler to meet their needs (read: not industry standards). You likely won't get it working well (or at all) without some reverse engineering.
Would you have any more background or technical information? ...Or do you have restrictions from formal non-disclosure agreement? ;)

JayRandom

Jul 9, 2021
I can only confirm that Quartermaster is likely correct, and these are unlikely to work without substantial reverse engineering and custom firmware / software support.

Reactions: mach3.2 and Samir