$4K SLC SSD PCIe cards for $350 on eBay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
just did some reading turns out ZIL is good for synchronus writes only not the tons of random writes I'll be doing
Where did you read that? My understanding is the opposite - that ZFS is able to coalesce piles of small random writes to ZIL into a smaller number of larger sequential writes to the pool. I have seen the argument that a RAM-based ZIL is better than a flash-based ZIL since the maximum latency is lower, but then again flash latency is already dramatically lower than spinning disk latency and an enterprise-class device like the F20 have well controlled maximum latency, unlike some consumer-grade SSD drives.

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
I believe that the Intel X25-E lacks a supercapacitor. That of course will limit performance or reliability or both. Those F20s do have supercaps, by the way, though they do cost more than $65.

haha hijack away! if that's ok with pat...

well this bodes well there's x25-e's going for 65 on ebay that I want to turn into such a device.

This is very exciting to say the least.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
WIKI info on ZFS, might be of use.
The second level of disk cache are SSD disks. This level is optional, and is easy to add or remove during live usage as there is no need to shut down the zpool. There are two different caches, one cache for reads, and one cache for writes.
  • The read SSD cache is called L2ARC and is similar to Level 2 CPU cache. The L2ARC will also considerably speed up Deduplication, if the entire Dedup table can be cached in L2ARC. It can take several hours to fully populate the L2ARC (before it has decided which data is "hot", and should be cached). If the L2ARC device is lost, all reads will go out to the disks which slows down performance but nothing else will happen (no data will be lost).
  • The write SSD cache is called the Log Device, and it is used by the ZIL (ZFS Intent Log). ZIL basically turns synchronous writes into asynchronous writes, which helps e.g. NFS or databases.[50] All data is written to the ZIL like a journal log, but only read after a crash. Thus, the ZIL data is normally never read. Every once in a while, the ZIL will flush the data to the zpool, this is called Transaction Group Commit. In case there is no separate log device added to the zpool, a part of the zpool will automatically be used as ZIL, thus there is always a ZIL on every zpool. It is important that the log device use a disk with low latency, for superior performance a disk consisting of battery backed up RAM, such as the ZeusRAM should be used. Because the log device is written to a lot, an SSD disk will eventually be worn out, but a RAM disk will not. If the log device is lost, it is possible to lose the latest writes, therefore the log device should be mirrored. In earlier versions of ZFS, loss of the log device could result in loss of the entire zpool, therefore one should upgrade ZFS if planning to use a separate log device.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
Note on configuring ZFS for use with the F20:

http://lnoorder.wordpress.com/2011/...the-f20-card-and-f5100-storage-array-updated/

In summary you need to:
1) Configure the devices as ZFS log devices
2) Disable cache flushing (supercaps make it unnecessary)
3) Disable metadata compression
4) Reduce record size to say 16kb

if this was a 2008 chipset i'd be all over this. How does ZFS say to know how to use this as a cache device? doesn't ZFS just cache almost everything it can in memory for files that are in high demand?

McKajVah

Nov 14, 2011
Norway
Would it be possible to use the onboard LSI1068E and raid the four "drives"?

Raid 0: 96GB (if you feel lucky...)
Raid 0+1: 48GB
Raid 5: 72GB

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
dunno but you can get NOB 50gb or 100gb samsung SLC dell drives for $1/gb on amazon/ebay most of the time. They are older gen samsung 14mm with huge caps. They also pawn off the 7mm ancient models with no caps(stupid slow).

Have two m5014's with 8 each (16 total) in a workstation, bought as fast as 4 to 6 samsung 830's (raid 0 to 0) with fastpath.

samsung 830's w/fastpath m5014 = 9265 w/o fastpath samsung 830's

small drives are a pita to use in reality.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-G914J-Samsung-50GB-2-5-SATA-II-SSD-Hard-Drive-MCCOE50G5MPQ-0VAD3-SATA-2-/160932234846?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item25784f065e

there are two - people get them confused. actually more than two but for $50~'ish : two.

the laptop height model has no battery and is stupid slow. like 50% of sata-1

the tall boys 14.5mm? have like 5 or 6 ginormous caps in them and have okay speeds more than sata-1 speeds. You should always ask for the exact part and match the samsung chipset datasheet.

Most are spare parts - never used - require a firmware upgrade. I've seen them dip into the 40$ when stock was high on both ebay and amazon.

there is a newer model as well, it is marked eMLC, which i'm guessing is faster but they tend to cost more, and well not SLC.

old 50nm SLC is bullet-proof with good firmware.